Chennai Jan CPers, is any of you getting Police Certificate?

well Chennai updated their site on Dec28

That was the last day of IV interviews for Dec, if you scrutinize their appointment list. The Jan interview starts on the 2nd for most of the Family category. So they expect the family based applicants to furnish the PCC on a 4 day notice? Given that most of the family based applicants reside in India, the consulate "can" expect them to
run around and get the PCC

The EB IV appointments starts from Jan15- Technically they have given 2-3 weeks notice for the EB applicants! Boy! aren\'t we really screwed.

I guess we need to group together, charter a bus for those who got their passports in Bangalore, and head to the RPO.

postpone interview date?

I discussed this with my laywer- her opinion was "NOT" to do that. You\'ll never know hoiw soon they will reschedule, if at all. Of course, the final option was left to me to decide- of course I\'m the one who is going to suffer.

Right Now Post Phone Option Looks "Silly".

Let\'s see how it goes in the first wk. of Jan. Mumbai/Delhi has some EB cases on Jan 2. If they did not reject(ask to get PCC to issue GC) any PCC cases, Chennai do not reject. Ofcoarse, if they reject that does not meant that Chennai will reject. Chennai being the most lenient on this issue. Let\'s wait and see. That\'s all we can do at this time exept apply at the consulate although we won\'t receive it in time.

RAJESH

Rajesh,

My passport also was issues by Houston in 1998. I thought Houston only issues PCC in a day IF the passport is issued by Houston AND IF they issued the passport in the last one year. Am I right or Am I not?

Please post urgently, as I am planning to fly to Houston to get it if they will issue in a day. Thank you.

No Title

Aishsri, Superman and all others who received confirmation from Chennai that PCC is not required "earlier" please post the message (after removing/XXXXXing your specific information) here. I am unable to locate my response.

Must have stupidly hit the delete key. My perplexed mind no longer thinks logically! Appreciate your posts. Thank you.

Yes. SAME day PCC at the consulate that issued your passport.

I just got it from New York where my passport was renewed last year.
Also the consulate lady mentioned that if you have been issued/ renewed your passport anywhere in US or Canada in the past 18 or so months then any other consulate, whichever comes under your juridiction can issue PCC in a day. There may be exceptions in some remote consulates. Please check your local consulate for details.

Use form attached to this note and remeber to enclose photo copy of your passport and visa along with 11 dollars fee. Submit the forms and original passport in the morning and get it back the same eve.

murali, It\'s not true for Chicago.

My new PP was issued by Chicago in last 18 mos. They said they still take 45-90 days to issue the PCC. If you are lucky to get it it one day, just take it. Good Luck.

gc_hopeful, I also heard that Houston issues in one day. Just call them and go get it. They are open on Monday. I think they are also open on New Year\'s Day as they did not list Jan.1 in Holidays list. Good Luck.

gc_hopeful, Here is the copy of PCC e-mail conformation.

No.

Customer Service Unit
American Consulate General
220, Anna Salai
Chennai 600006
Ph-91-44-8112060/2000

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2001 11:00 AM
To: chennaiiv@state.gov
Subject:

I stayed in India/US for my entire life. I have applied for Employment based

Immigration. Do I need Police Certificate from India and or US ?. Thank You.

worst case scenario

is that Chennai will ask to come back with the PCC. For those who stayed in US for the last few years, that means another round-trip.
We may need to come back, get the F&(*& document from the Indian Consulate, and then get back to Chennai.

Getting Local Police Clearance (from your residence in India) is not
easy. My dad consulted with the Inspector in Udipi Dist. His opinion:
1. First of all, your son (i.e. me) doesn\'t live in my district.
2. We dont issue PCC without notification from RPO to do the same.
3. How can he issue some clearance without proper investigation?

Well, we can only hope that Chennai doesn\'t enforce this from Jan.

No Title

- This freaking PCC is creating a big mess now...

I lived only in India & USA..& have my Interview on Jan25th with chennai consulate.

I still don\'t understand, from where I have get my PCC.
 -> I applied one from NYCG, around Dec\'20th, which I\'m postive i\'m
    not going to get before I leave.

-> FROM WHICH OTHER PLACE DO I GET THE SECOND PCC? IS IT SUFFICIENT
    ENOUGH IF I GET IT FROM LOCAL POLICE STATION IN US. OR SHOULD I
    GET FROM LOCAL POLICE STATION IN INDIA, WHERE I USED TO LIVE.

-> DO I ALSO HAVE TO MAKE AN EFFORT TO GET ONE FROM THE REGIONAL
    PASSPORT OFFICE FROM INDIA, WHO ISSUED MY PASSPORT ( HYD )

Can someone pls clarify and throw some light as to, from which places I have to i have to attempt to get PCC, if so from which places.

BTW, if one is getting PCC from local police station in India, what format should the PCC be in? Should it have to mention...

For the periods (from XYZ date to 123 date) Mr.XXX stayed in india , our records shows no crimical records....and blah, blah..

THIS IS SO STUPID, TO GIVE US SUCH A SHORT NOTICE TO GET PCC.

Thanks for any feedback guys...Good luck

postpone interview date - reply from Chennai Consulate

Hallo Cobra,
I sent a querry to Chennai Consulate whether interviews can be rescheduled. Their curt reply was "YES, but it would take 8 to 10 weeks to reschedule another one.", which is not worth at all.

So good luck with your CP process.

Thanks.

Prince Kumar

Jagee/Cobra

PCC is not required from Local Police Station in India if you are from abroad according to the Chennai Website.

It says that if you are from abroad, a statement from their nearest local consulate conforming that they have no criminal record. That means local PCC is not required if you from abroad according top the website.

Worst Case Scenerion. We need not come back to US. You can just apply PCC directly at your embassy and show your original PP by visiting the consulate. They will mark the copy that they have verified the original PP. When PCC is ready they can send directly to your freinds address in US. If possible to Indian address. You can provide the self addressed paid envelope(Express Mail) and pay the M.O. for service charges. So, on worst case, you will wait in India until you receive the PCC from consulate. You may loose time on worst case. It still rather better than re-scheduling the Interview date.
So, Just apply for PCC at the consulate and show your original at the emvbassy before you leave and hope that Chennai will not ask for PCC. If they ask you will wait until you receive PCC from Indian Consulate in US. Good Luck to all of US.

Superman! U r good man!

That sounds like a plan.

So you are saying its just sufficient to get a PCC from Indian Consulate, if u r here in USA for a while. No need to worry about getting any PCC from India either from ur locality where one used to live or from my RPO ( HYD, in mycase ), CORRECT ?

I applied for my PCC on Dec20 with NYCG, I wonder if i can get it before i leave to India on Jan18th.

If chennai asks, I was thinking of showing the proof of application for pcc & the reciept. Along with the email printout that i got from chennai customer service, about NOT required PCC.
Any other Ideas to get around this mess?

Can Chennai Consulate grant conditional GC, pending PCC doc? Do u know of any. Any thoughts?
If I\'m correct u r also scheduled for Jan25th correct?

Did anyone check with the consulate?

So has the consulate formally stated thay they need PCC for every applicant in January? Did anyone call Chennai today? I guess they are open Monday right?

Please let us know..
Thanx

No PCC for Jan CP - Good news from Chennai

Good news folks,
   I just called the Chennai consulate to enquire about the PCC requirement. They told me that Jan CPers do not need PCCs from India and the US.
   Just thought I\'d pass on the good news to all of you.
Rastapopulous

GC

I talked to the Houston folks couple of times about this. I didn;t specifically tell them when my passport was issued by them. Their reply was if the passport was issued from Houston then they can give it within a day if we go there in person. So, I think you should be able to get it. But to conform, you can give them a call. They have been quite helpful.

Hey, that sounds really good

Now if we can get an email confirmation as well, we can all breath easy ! Errr.... does this apply to only India residents too ?

Ok I am enclosing a transcript of my mail to Chennai regarding PCC

Subject: RE: Police certificate requirement
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 11:40:09 +0530

YOu dont require as your interview is before 1st February.

Customer Service Unit
American Consulate General
220, Anna Salai
Chennai 600006
Ph-91-44-8112060/2000

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, December 31, 2001 9:25 AM
To: chennaiiv@state.gov
Subject: Police certificate requirement

Dear Sir/ Ma\'am
I have my employement IV interview scheduled for the
29th of Jan in Chennai. In the past in many emails,