Chennai CP success 04/19; One question for CP gurus

rr_rr

Registered Users (C)
My experience was very similar to other successful CPers. Don\'t worry too much about the order of the documents. The order in the Srifx list (updated for changes since his CP experience), or the order in the list provided in the P4 should both be good. As long as the documents are all there, the officer collecting the documents does some arranging of the docs in his own way anyways. A few notes that may be helpful:

Don\'t bother taking photos in the US. Based on my experience, US studios charge a lot and produce poorer quality photos that are not up to spec. Camera Citi (opp. Chola Sheraton) does a professional job and is a lot cheaper. You can get both the immigration style and normal passport photos done there. You will need the normal photos for the Lister documentation and for the doctor\'s documentation.

Take several copies of the appointment letter from your P4 (or the web printout or other e-mails etc. you may have exchanged with Chennai IV confirming your appointment date). This is asked for pretty much at every step along the way (to do the tests at Lister, by the Dr., to enter the consulate, to receive the Blue Dart package etc.)

Make sure to call the number listed in the P4 for the exchange rate to be used for the demand drafts. It was 49 when I went -- so, I made drafts out for Rs.12,740 ($260) for the application fees and Rs. 3,185 ($65) for the visa fees. Please note that the rate the banks use in all likelihood will be different from the rate that they give out at the number listed on the P4. I saw an elderly gentleman who had made drafts out for a slightly higher amount (because he specified $amounts and the bank used a different rate) who was asked to get his drafts re-done. He was planning to plead his case, but I am not sure if he succeeded.

If you organize your documents in one of the nice multi-pouch sheet protecting folders, that\'s all fine, but before you go to submit your documents gather all the required documents in a pile, just clip them and keep them ready for the officer. If you keep them in your sheet protective folders, it is highly likely that you will be asked to go back, pull all the necessary documents out, organize them in a pile and then submit -- saw this happen to a couple of people.

Ran into a fellow CPer whose first name and last name was reversed in the visa page stapled to the package sent via Blue Dart. I am not sure if this actually helps, but I stuck to my passport a yellow sticky that clearly spelt out

First name: _________

Last name: _________

to avoid confusion. The officer that collected my documents did not seem to have a problem with it. In a note they send with the Blue Dart package, they explicitly mention that things like first name, last name swaps will not be corrected, so to avoid the potential of the names getting swapped and the associated hassle of having to explain it to someone in the future, it might be worthwhile to try the sticky for what it is worth.

QUESTION FOR CP GURUS

The visa page that comes with the blue dart package has an occupation code. I work in investment banking, and for whatever reason, they seemed to have picked the occupation code of ASP - Administrative Support, which clearly does not describe my position. For my wife, who also works and was on a H1 before we finished our CP, the occupation code mysteriously came out to be HOU - Housewife/Househusband. I am not sure (a) how important this occupation classification is as I have not seen the occupation classification in any other meaningful document - the I-551 stamp or the plastic card etc. and (b) even if I wanted to get it fixed, where to get it done. As I did not give myself at least one working day\'s cushion, I did not have the chance to go back and ask them about this (lesson for future CPers - give yourself at least one working day after the interview :)). Any thoughts from CP gurus would be much appreciated.

Congrats!! and one question.

Congrats!
I have one question for you. when you completed P3, did you provide a local address in item 13? If not, did you receive a P4/appt letter in US?

if you went with the web based appt, how did you go about it after you received your interview date? just took an appt at ttservices.com
? what all info did you need to get an appt?

thanks!!

manish_r

I had provided my US address in line 13 of the P3 and an Indian address in lines 16 and 18. The P4/appointment letter was sent to the Indian address. I did not realize that you could get IV appointments through ttservices.com.

Best regards.

Congratulations ....

on your GC approval. I have a few questions.

i) Birth certificate: Did u/any one u know/saw had no birth
   certificate and got approval with non-availability+affidavits?

I don\'t have a BC(and born after Apr,1970).The consulate FAQ still
   says u can get non-av.+affidavits but the pkt3 says u have to
   register ur birth. I sent them an email but they simply did a
   cut & paste from their faq. Ur input is appreciated.

ii)Srifx list mentions supporting docs for all prev. H1s.
   What all did u take besides old H1s/were you even asked
   for these?

Thanks in advance for your efforts in this regard.
u_me

u_me

Thanks.

(i) I am unaware of a recent example of a case that involved non.av + affidavits. However, I do believe you should be OK with non.av + affidavits. I think my brother went the non.av + affidavits route and was successful, although it was a long time ago - I will confirm.

(ii) In addition to the standard documents mentioned in the Srifx list and the P4, I took all old H1s, Labor documentation, I-140 documentation, prior I-20s, EAD cards, degrees/transcripts etc. None of these were asked for in my case. However, I do know that at least in one case on the day that I had my interview, the H1 approval notice was asked for as the visa had expired in the passport.

Best regards.

rr_rr: Thanks ...

for the fast response. With regard to prev. US companies , I assume
all that is needed is H1s (of those cos) and not the I129 petition etc .Is that right ?
Thanks ,
u_me

u_me...

H1s of previous companies are technically not required documents per the P4 request list, as are the I129 petitions related to those H1s. I took those documents for backup were the interviewing officer to raise any questions. My suggestion would be to take these documents just so you don\'t get surprised. My general rule of thumb with the INS has always been to keep as much ammunition as possible to prove that I have always maintained proper status in the US. This may make for carrying more documents than you probably need, but gives you "sleep well at night" peace.

My 2 cents.

Best regards.

Congrats!!!

I am still enjoying my vacation in India. I received my papers and they are in order. Did you have any questions at POE?

Regards

trygc...

Not really. POE was pretty straightforward. Got the I-551 stamp. Took about 20 minutes for my wife and I. Eagerly awaiting the plastic cards. Enjoy your vacation.

No Title

Hello,
   How long do they take to give the lister results. In the packet 4 they have mentioned the time as 5:30 to 6:30. Is there any possibility that they give the results earlier.

Thanks

rr_rr Question for you?

First of all my congratulations to you. I am going to apply for I-140 in NSC. Could you tell me how long does it take from I-140 approval to Interview date? Also, if you could point me where should I get the lit of documents to take that would be great.

Thanks in advance,

Venkat.

bmsg...

The day that I went, they asked us to come back at 4:30 and they did start giving the results out at 4:30. For a small handful of people, the results were not available right at 4:30, but shortly thereafter. I have heard that sometimes they give it out earlier -- you can call their number beforehand. If you are trying to plan both Lister and the doctor\'s visit the same day, it is definitely feasible. There were at least four CPers that picked up the results at Lister and then visited Dr. Vijayalakshmi the same evening. If you have specific time constraints, you may also try to have Lister process your package sooner.

Best regards.

Venkat CNV...

Thanks.

(i) Your question regarding timing from I-140 to interview:
My response would likely not be very helpful because of the differences in the service center (my I-140 was through VSC) and also because I did not have to go through the step of going to the NVC post approval of I-140 (I could go directly to the Consulate), but as a reference point here are the time markers in my case...
My I-140 was filed with VSC in mid-August 2001 and was approved in mid-November 2001. I could have immediately submitted my P3 to Chennai but delayed it until February 13, 2002. I was given an April 19,2002 interview date.

(ii) List of documents
Try this link for the Srifx list which is the de-facto CP checklist bible
Gandalf "Chennai Feb Interview Thread!" 1/13/02 5:04am
Please note that since the time that Srifx went through the CP process in 2001 there have been some changes, for ex., you need the police clearance certificate, you need the 2001 tax return. Please see other CP success posts to see what else may be needed to supplement the Srifx list.

birth certificate

Hi,

Please let me know that the consulate is very particular for getting birth certificate for those born on or after 1970 from local office.
Or is it ok if we get it from indian consulate.

Regards

RAGHUC...

Please see attached the P3 instructions relating to BCs for Indian and Pakistani applicants. My reading of this is that (a) you either produce a birth certificate OR (b) say that your birth was not registered and produce sworn affidavits according to the specifications provided. I am not sure that a BC from a consulate would meet these requirements.

My 2 cents, you may want to check with your lawyer and/or CP experts.

Best regards.