Chennai Consulate Interview

Honest

Registered Users (C)
I booked an appointment on Oct 1 for my parents. But to due to other reasons my father said he won't be able to come. So de don't want to take up the interview.But I booked for both of them together. Is that Ok if my mom attends the interview alone even it is booked for 2 people. Or Do I have to cancel and schedule it again for my mom alone??

How did you get appointments for both of your parents at the same time?. I have booked an appointment for my mom, my father also like to attend the interview. He is above 60 years. Thanks

I cancelled the interview for my parents and booked only for my mother as suggested by TTS help services.

Just now , I got the news that my mom got the visa. But yet to get other details.

My mom was asked 2 questions
Whom are you going to visit??
Why your husband is not coming with you ..??

No documents asked. They asked her to pay the fees in the counter and told her that she will receive the passport in few days.

Visitor Visa granted for 10 Years - First Time

Friends,

Thought to share this information with all of you who are trying for Visitor visas for their parents and in-laws.

I applied for Visitor visas for my Mom and Dad at Chennai Consulate. My mom is 58 yrs old and my Dad is 62 Yrs old. Initially, enquired with TT Services by sending an e-mail if they could use drop box facility. TT Services replied asking me to re-direct the question to Consulate. Sent an e-mail to Chennai Consulate. Got a reply stating that, since one fo them is < 60 yrs both should attend the interview and cannot use the drop box facility.

Fixed up an appointment in the web for my parents in early August and got an interview for 1st October 2003 @ 12:00 p.m. I sent them the following documents :

SPONSOR's DOCUMENTS :

1). DS-156 for both my Mom and Dad completed by me and affixing my signature stating that I am the preparer of the forms
2). Invitation letter to my Parents
3). Letter to Consulate requesting them to grant a visitor visa and stating that my parents would stay with us for 6 months and the reason for inviting them (Visit their son, spend time with grand children, visit places in the US etc.)
4). Copies of my Recent paystubs for the past 6 months
5). Original Bank statement for immigration purposes clearly indicating when the account was opened and what the balance is.
6). Notarized I-134 form (Affidavit of Support) each for my Mom and Dad
7). Copy of my Passport (Including the blank pages)
8). Copy of my I-797
9). Copy of my I-94 (Front and back)
10). Original Employment verification letter clearly stating my designation, salary, and the start date of my employment with them
11). Copies of last three years tax returns
12). Copy of my Birth Certificate

VISITOR's documents :
Folowing are the documents that I asked my parents to prepare
1). statement from the Bank indicating their balance amount.
2). statement from a Chartered accountant indicating the value of the property, jewels and stocks (if any) and also the total toether. The CA was superb guy, he converted everthing to dollars and finally gave the report indicating the totals in both dollars and reports.
3). Copies of their ration card, Voters identification card, Property documents etc
4). Personal affidavit duly notarized, one each for my Mom and Dad indicating that they would return to india after a temporary stay in the US, also indicating that they have an unmarried son and other things to take care of back in India
5). Copy of Brother's birth certificate to prove that they have a Son back at home and also his photograph.
Other than the above mentioned documents I alao asked them to take all the originals with them.

They had a cover sheet for each of the document and three separate folders (one for Sponsor's documents, one for Visitor's documents and the other one for Originals).

On 1st October, 2003 they went to the consulate at 11:45, was allowed to enter inside. At the first counter, they were checked if they had all the Demand drafts. At the second counter the lady took the demand drafts for the reciprocity fees and asked them to pay the fees for TT Services (For TT Service you could either pay by demand draft or by cash and they have increased the rate to Rs.400/- from Rs.300/- per passport).

They handed over the documents to the lady at the third counter. She took both the DS -156 forms, both the I-134 forms, My Employment verification letter, and the Copy of my Passport pages, Copy of my I-797 and my I-94 and returned the other documents. As per my Dad, She did not even go through the other documents.

They were given a token and asked to go into the Main area to be seated and wait for their turn. They were finally called at 2:40 p.m. to the counter. There was this American Officer and an Indian lady with him (She was the translator as My parents chose the Regional language as the choice for interview). My parents wished them both and was sked the following questions :

Q1. Officer : How many ons do you have?
A1. My Dad: Two sons

Q2. Officer : Which son is in the US?
A1. My Dad: My Eldest son

Q3.Officer : What's your younger son doing?
A3. My Dad: He's working here in India

Officer : We have granted you the visa. Pay the visa issuance fees at the other counter and you should get your passports through courier in a couple of days.

My parents paid the fees and came home. Today on the 3rd Ocotber they received their pasports and were given a 10 year Multiple Entry visa valid till 2013. Remember, this is their first visit.

I really don't know how the Visa validity period or the decision to give or deny a visa is decided.

But anyway I am happy they got a Multiple entry visa. Thought to share this info with you guys.

In case of any questions, please let me know and I will try to assist you.

Thanks.

question for Honest

when filling out the I-134 form, What did you fill up?
Column 9 : That I have to submit affidaviit of following persons

Did u fill ur wife's info since while I-485 we need to fill I-134 for wife

Column 10 That I have submitted Visa petitions for the following persons

????

I would appreciate ur reply