Checklist of things to be done here while on Vacation

raji_needs_GC

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I am sure there are a lot of people who are going to India to get their GC during Jan. Good luck to all of them. I am trying to put up a checklist of things to be done here while we are vacationing for a month. People pls. add to this list.

01. Suspend your cable connection--Save few $$s
02. Pay min. coverage for Car (comprehensive only) - Save $$s
03. Pay up your rent and utilities(Phone, Power etc) in advance if
you are going to be gone for more than a month.
04. Make sure you throw the trash before you go. You do not
want you apt. to be stinking when you come back.
05. Inform apt. leasing office. Can turn of heater if OK
06. Submit your timesheets in advance
07. Reschedule all appointments here during that period

Just a few things that popped up in my mind.

Thanks,

Srini

While you are out!

Ask the Post Office delivery office to hold your mail / or / make sure some one you know and trust checks and keeps the mail for you.

It is also a good idea to leave instructions with a friend or relative on handling of documents or rent issues.

Park in a safe place

Make sure that your car is parked in a safe place. It will be nice if you can park in a garage (if available) or leave it with a trustworthy friend to prevent theft or vandalizing.

Make sure your credit card minimum balance (if any) is paid on time.

Thanks.

turn in your MBA applications(if any) before the January deadline.
give your plant(if any) to someone for regular watering
same rule applies if you have pets
hope this helps...

make sure to book the losses on your stocks so that you that your tax bill is low

cleanup and shutdown you refrigerator before leaving

advance pay the credit cards to prevent late fees

get phone numbers/email ids of your friends and managers so they can sell your stuff if you don't come back

Be careful with your refrigertor though. If you dont clean properly and well in advance, with the air-conditioner switched off, it will easily attract ants, in case you live in area where ants are prevalent.

If you are leaving in winter, leave the faucets dripping so that it wont freeze and burst open (seldom happens).

Give your mailbox key to your friend or forward it to your friend's place. Also give your apartment key and any alarm code, if applicable, to your friend.

You may want to cut your cable tv connection, but check the disconnect fee and connect fee to see if it would save $$
I am not going to disconnect my cable modem connection though, as I can connect to my computer through terminal services, in case i want to see any doc/file in my computer.

Most of the service providers / shops have account management online. so you can automate your payment or pay online. Otherwise, pay upfront or give the check to your trusted friend and ask him/her to mail it and send reminders when its due. Also you can ask him/her to deposit your paychecks if its not direct deposit.

Make a checklist of things to check before you leave your house and Leave well in advance to the airport so you can comeback if you forget something.
If you are going to leave your car with your friend, then leave your car with a friend who has a better car than you! you can save mileage in your car :) (no guarantee though!)
If it's peak hours, take public transportation if available. Dont want to have a thriller sitting in a traffic jam.
If you dont have a valid Multiple Entry H1 or any other Visa that would allow you to come back to USA if necessary, take a transit visa (especially for Europe bound flights like Lufthansa). Believe me, my friend went through this problem.

Avoid taking a rolling carry-on baggage as most of them are heavy(nearly 10lbs). If you have a light one, then you can use it. I went through this problem with BA. If your total carry-on baggage weighs more than 13lbs, then you are in trouble (so basically you can carry only 3lbs). They might ask you to check it in. I got away with it, since i had a laptop bag, which they dont weigh. so i put some of my documents in the laptop bag and made the carry-on baggage light weight. And ofcourse, Keep all the documents in your hand-baggage.

And in the customs in India, if you have a laptop or a big item, they will come behind you like a hawk. If you dont have friends in customs, you better go through red channel and declare it as they mark your bag after screening through x-ray machine. (Yes they do screen your hand-baggage when you go through immigration. It is supposed to be for security purposes, but you know how systems are always misused. I am not saying you shouldnt have to pay duty, but even if you are bringing something for personal use, which you can, when they see you they act like they have found their prey, and they pass message to custom offiicial and get ready for a feast) So, be prepared.

Visit cgihouston.org or the excise and customs of india website http://www.cbec.gov.in/cae/customs/info-trvllrs/bagge-rules.htm to see how much worth of goods you can carry with you. One intriguing thing from website is: <<
Professional Equipment permitted to be imported to the following persons to the extent indicated below:

a. Indian Passengers returning after a stay abroad of atleast 3 months : Rs. 10000

b. Indian Passengers returning after a stay of atleast 6 months : Rs. 20000
>>
But it also says that common use items such as PC, camera, laptop are not allowed. But if you are a software engineer or cameraman, photo journalist, shouldnt they be allowed to carry such items.

I am not sure if it comes under this thread, Regarding ticket - Purchase a open flight ticket, in case you needed to stay for some more time. Sometimes, its cheaper to purchase a regular ticket and then change the date, if necessary (~$100). But i am not sure how many times you can change, if you needed to stay further. Leave atleast 3-4 days, preferably 1 week, after the interview as buffer.

Good Luck!!