Check Citation

shamur

Registered Users (C)
Experts on the forum, can you please tell me the best way to check for citations. I tried the Iweb??science? website with not much use.
Do we need to subscribe to some site to check for citations? Please help

In addition I have a lot of abstracts, and as you know, abstracts also get cited but is there a way to find out if abstracts were cited?

Thanks much in Advance

It only brings up

I did that and it only brings up abstracts articles from the organization website but it does not bring up citations?? Is there any other way to check this

I am confused...

A. Einsteing gives (the first two)

Can quantum-mechanical description of physical reality be considered complete? - all 4 versions »
A Einstein, B Podolsky, N Rosen - PHYSICAL REVIEW Phys Rev, 1935 - APS
In a complete theory there is an element corresponding to each element of
reality. A sufficient condition for the reality of a physical quantity is the
possibility of predicting it with certainty, without disturbing the system. ...
Cited by 4130 - Related Articles - Web Search - Library Search

[BOOK] Meaning of relativity, The - all 13 versions »
A Einstein - books.google.com
It is hard to find anything to say about the most famous scientist ofall time
that you don't probably already know. His father was a largely unsuccessful
engineer who kept starting businesses and going bust, then moving on to ...
Cited by 685 - Related Articles - Web Search - Library Search

What else do you need?

Chris

Search Scopus.com. It is a Elsvier Search Engine. I think there is a 30 day trial period. You can use that. Actually, I get this (from editor) whenever I am asked to review the manuscripts.

Made a quick comparison between Google Scholar and Scopus...

Interesting! None of the papers found by Scopus was missed by Google Scholar, but quite a few more were found by Google Scholar. As for the citation numbers, they are often different, but we all know that tracking citations is difficult. The order of magnitude is correct though.

Google Scholar also found quite a few conference presentations that Scopus ignored.

My two cents ;)

ISI holds good for Ciations from Journals

It is better to use ISI WEB OF SCIENCE to get citations from scientific Journals and google scholar from conference/book/internet magazine based citations.

When I looked citations for one of my papers, ISI gave 16 but google scholar gave me just THREE. but the latter is good to get citations from books, coneferences and other citations.

Good luck

Lakksh, you are right about ISI, though I guess the field in which you work makes a difference.

The problem with ISI is that it is a paid service, which is dificult to access without an account. I would think, but I can be wrong, that well cited papers are going to show well at all the main citation sites. I am surpised by a factor 5 difference like the one you mention, lakksh. Is it a trend for all your papers of just for a couple of specific ones? I am wondering in which journal it was published. Perhaps is the paper recent and ISI is better at tracking new stuff? Or something else...

Chris

Lakksh, you are right about ISI, though I guess the field in which you work makes a difference.

The problem with ISI is that it is a paid service, which is dificult to access without an account. I would think, but I can be wrong, that well cited papers are going to show well at all the main citation sites. I am surpised by a factor 5 difference like the one you mention, lakksh. Is it a trend for all your papers of just for a couple of specific ones? I am wondering in which journal it was published. Perhaps is the paper recent and ISI is better at tracking new stuff? Or something else...

Chris

Chris:

Yes ISI is paid one and people, like me, who work at university/res labs have no problem in accessing ISI. I understand other people's concern.

Chris, you have asked me the right question. Only few papers of mine shows as if they have less Citations as per google scholar. Most of my papers have been published in leading food science/Microbiology journals, published by elsevier/blackwell publishers and all are covered under ISI citations.

Also remember that these leading publishers publish journal issues (monthly, bi-monthly, whatever it is) online, say atleast 2-5 months, prior to publish print version. And ISI covers those online journal issues and if your paper has been cited, it does COUNT unlike google scholar (I dont know how does google scholar work?).

When you look at each journal's information page, it shows that the contents of journal is being INdexed/Abstracts obtained by so many, ISI is one of them. So if someone can not access ISI, first look the journal, see indexing service,and go for the one that does not require you to pay.

Finally my two cents - that ISI holds good for most of the Scientific Journals published by leading publishers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used ISI, INSPEC and google for citations of my research work. I also did some research and contacted former colleagues and asked them if they'd cited my work anywhere. It worked, and got a couple of citations in Chinese Journals. I also used another citation index at Rutgers (NJ), but that didn't give me results different from ISI.

Try SciFinder Scholar. It gives more updated records compared to webofscience and also gives citations for abstracts.

Just a note for those who don't know: SciFinder Scholar seems to be specialized in biochemistry, organic chemistry, macromolecular chemistry, applied chemistry,and physical, inorganic, and analytical chemistry.

Yes, it is mainly for chemistry, all fields. But it also works well for physics journals, and also for medical and biological journals.