Charged w/ Marijuana posession 2002 dismissed can I enter US?

superdanl

I'm a Canadian citizen and in 2002 while crossing the border into Sweetgrass, Montana we were stopped and searched. The officers found 0.3 grams of Marijuana which must have been under my seat as I had no idea it was there.

Was brought to the court and the judge wanted to help me out as much as she could so was charged w/ misdemeaner posession of Marijuana, I plead guilty, fined 250$ and she said the charge would be deferred 6 months and then dismissed (which it was).

I have never tried to enter the U.S. since that day and have a wedding coming up which I would like to attend in Chicago next year. Am I allowed into the U.S. with my charges being dismissed or must I apply for the waiver? Does this somehow qualify for the petty offence exception? I think I've read most drug related charges do not but also saw somewhere that Marijuana may be an exception

What should I say at the border if asked about the event. Should I say I plead guilty even though it shows dismissed?

Thanks in advance.

You could be charged with anything but at the end it's the conviction that counts, you plead guilty to a amended count of a misdemeanor, I don't think you will have any issues entering the US.
There is a difference between charge being dismissed or being suspended.
I doubt it was dismissed, as you have had plead guilty and paid a fine, dismissals don't come with a fine and pleadings, convictions do, the imposition of sentence might have been suspended pending successful completion of your six months probation. After the successful completion it's not a public record but remains as a conviction only for immigration purposes not for criminal.
Nevertheless it will have no bearing as it is 8 years old and will only may prompt a search of your vehicle, but do disclose it if asked about at the border, as they will have the access to those records.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was denied entry for a similar amount, but i was charged and fined in Canada. i paid an 80 dollar fine and no probation. i went to hawaii and was denied entry (but they let me in on a probationary visa). i want to drive from vancouver to seattle next summer. what will be the consequences if they decide to check my background?