Changing lawyers in mid stream

m_img

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone have experience changing lawyers in the middle of the processing of J1 waiver.

Here is the my situation:

J1 Waiver is approved by the State and is forwarded to DOS. I guess, DOS will forward to USCIS if DOS approves the waiver and then USCIS will advise the lawyer (probable me???) and then we will apply for H1.

I guess, my lawyer does not have to do anything unless DOS asks for something more until H1 processing, correct?

My questions are:

1) During this process what letters are sent from a) State b)DOS c)USCIS and who they send these letters to, i.e. Lawyer, me, the sponsor or to all of them.

2) If lawyer gets all the correspondence, how would I know? Is there any way other than asking the lawyer?

3) If I were to change lawyer, I would probably change for H1 processing as all other work is done by the current lawyer. Should I file another G28 and to who and when?

4) If I want to change the lawyer, at what stage I should start contacting a new lawyer.

Thank you,

Before you begin your waiver you have to get a number from DOS. I had filed my address on that applications and I got all DOS as well as 612 on my address. I think that is how it works but not 100 percent sure.

H1b on the other hand is a petition from employer and my employer gave lawyer permission to use attorney`s address so papers went to him.

I had a problem with DOS letter though as they had wrong employer in my letter. After filing H 1B, I got RFE from BCIS. So my lawyer went back to DOS and I got new 612 with correct employer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't you submitted G28 with your waiver application? Isn't waiver petition by the employer on your behalf?

I think G 28 is the authority for lawyer to accept your letters. J 1 waiver is my application and H 1B is employer. I had gotten my waiver file number even before I had found the employer. I never submitted G 28

I got DOS # before I find the employer as well.

But I filed G28 when J1 waiver application was submitted. DOS expects this if it filed through Lawyer.

I suggest wait till you get DOS approval letter. If you get it at your address, 612 is going to come to your address too. Also it takes only 1 week after DOS letter, to get receipt notice for application for 612. So you will get your answer soon. Why change lawyer though. They are same, no matter where you go. unless you are saving money, stay with current lawyer.

If you plan to change make sure your employer has not already submitted paperwork to your current lawyer. H1b after all is your employer petition for you and he may already assumed that you want to go with your current lawyer.

Last edited by a moderator: