changing jobs after GC?

moghi

Registered Users (C)
changing jobs after GC? (Jaxen. Can you add your suggestion pls)

How safe is to switch employer after getting GC? I got my GC this month and planning to switch employer next month. Is it safe to do that? or i should wait for few more months.

Any help please.

-Mog

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no specific rule for how long you should stay in company after getting GC. But some immigration have their own (not BCIS'es) thumb rules - three months, six months, one year etc etc etc. The number varies lawyer to lawyer.

My understanding is that you can change your company very next day after you got GC. But the main factor is that you should be able to explain the reason for your "job change" to BCIS (if they want to know). When a company sponsors you a GC, they expect you stay with them - for long term. So you must show your good faith. And as you know, this "good faith" is very subjective - and depends how you explain it. For example, your company is not doing well (in this economy) and they cannot pay you anymore.

Bottomline, BCIS should never get the feeling that you "WAITED for GC and when you got it you just JUMPED (not from your sofa, but from your company)".
And when you change your job very next day after getting GC, it becomes evident that you were just waiting for your GC.

Normally this kind of things never matters after you get GC. But it matters when you apply for citizenship. While getting citizenship, the factor whether you are a person of good character will be considered. And having "good faith" is part of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Pralay,

I also heard from some people saying there might be some issues at the port of entry and also at the time of renewing the green card. is it true? What would be issues at the port of entry if INS officers come to know that i switched job within 2 months after getting GC. Any thoughts???

Thanks
-Mog

I heard BCIS offers asking which company the person works, place he/she lives etc. Probably those are are jusr for security purposes. But I am not sure. But I do not think they can deny entry if they find that you changed your job after 2 months.
As I mentioned already your job changed . BCIS must not get a feeling from your explanation that you were just waiting for GC to to change your job.

how soon after GC?

here's what rajiv khanna has to say on this issue:

Q. What is the indication of "permanency" while working with my employer after getting my GC?.

A. The basic premise (or theory) behind permanent residence through offer of employment is that an employee is accepting a job on a "permanent" bases.

Normally, I would say working for one year or more with the same employer after getting your GC is PROBABLY enough indication of permanency. Less than 4-5 months is perhaps evidence to the contrary But REMEMBER, this is just my own guess. Technically speaking, the moment you decide that you will leave after a certain period of time, "permanent" intent is gone.

above copied from the Green Card FAQs of this forum's parent website (www.immigration.com)