Changing job while the derivative case is still pending.

smr289

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I got my I485 approved through my employer 6 months ago. But, my wife's I485 is still pending. We applied together. I am the pricipal applicant and she the derivative one. My case was transferred to the local INS office and that sped up my application processing and I got the approval. My question is:
What will happen to my wife's case if I switch my job or even if I am laid off now?

smr289 said:
Hi,

I got my I485 approved through my employer 6 months ago. But, my wife's I485 is still pending. We applied together. I am the pricipal applicant and she the derivative one. My case was transferred to the local INS office and that sped up my application processing and I got the approval. My question is:
What will happen to my wife's case if I switch my job or even if I am laid off now?

In case of switching job there is no effect. In case of layoff, there could be some issue. As you are the principal applicant and supporting her financially, USCIS can ask to prove your ability to support her. That means your EVL, paystubs, W2 etc. If she is working with her EAD you can add her earning as proof of support too. Basically total household income has to be in some level - I think it has to be more than 125% of poverty level pescribed by USCIS (see USCIS website).