Changing H4 to F1 in Canada risky?

anastasiagu

I am currently in the US on an H-4 visa. I am pursuing a PhD in Economics. Today I received a Research Assistantship offer to begin in September. I don't have the time to apply for the change of status from H4 to F1 in the US.

How risky is it to apply for an F1 visa in Canada?

- can I be denied and on what grounds
- in case of denial, will I have any problems reentering the US on my H-4 visa (the stamp is valid until August 2003, I-94 is valid until June of 2004.)
-there is also a new law or a speculation about that if you apply for a visa in Canada or Mexico and are denied, you can no longer reenter the US, even if you have a valid visa. Is there any merit to this speculation, a new regulation supposedly passed in April 2002.

Sincerely,

Anastasia
Changing from H4 to F1 in Canada risky?

Hey

I am in the same boat, I was planning for mexico, but this doubt is killing me.
I am trying to change status from H4 to F1. If I am denied for F1, will my H4 status be cancelled, if so what should I do to come back to usa.
guys please respond to this topic.
share ur experiences with the world...

Thanks in Advance..

H4 to F1

I just got back from Canada where I got an F1 visa. I went to the consulate in Montreal. You need to make an appointment in advance takes about 2 weeks to get one. What really helped in my case is that I had an F1 status before and had 2 previous F1 visas in my old passport. I told them the only reason I am applying for F1 is so that I can accept Research Assistantship. It also helped that I was a PhD student, they usually don't give trouble to graduate students.

I hope this helps somewhat. I believe that if you have a valid H4 stamped in your passport, you will not be denied admission to the US even if your F1 is denied, as long as your H1 husband/wife are in good status. The new rule applies only to those who don't have a valid visa and want to enter on I-94. The rule is very confusing and I cannot guarantee that my interpretation is valid. I basically took my chances. I hope that you get your F1 and don't have to worry about reentering the country.

Ana