Changing from J1 to H1b, j1 sponsor issues?

dlm

currently changing from J1 to h1b status.. my visa that was j1 said "2 year rule does not apply" but yet at time of application, sponsor said I could not apply for other non imimigrant visa. Now I have succeeded in getting H1b visa, due to start soon.

My J1 sponsor has been alerted due to SEVIS date changes and is now furious with me. Thing I want to know, why should I be in any trouble if according to state dept everything is OK? What can sponsor do now? I have two months left of J1 before H1b starts. Can they cancel J1 in this period and if so why?

Did you have some form of agreement or contract with the sponsor that (s)he can file a lawsuit over?

parts of the agreement relevant to this case are:

• I accept that the placement for Interns must not exceed 12 months maximum
• I understand that the J-1 Work and Travel Visa program is not designed as a step to permanent labor force involvement and it is not intended to displace American workers, or be a conduit to permanent residency in the USA.
• I agree that I am prohibited from seeking any additional paid employment during my program.

this agreement was with sponsor. I think my case is not affected by these conditions because
1: while now over 12 months, this is due to status change
2: My new job is temporary, skilled worker -(h1b), not permanent. Also, in an area of skilled worker shortage.
3: The job is from the internship, visa petition went through without me applying for new work.

Am I OK?