Changing from an F1 to an H1...& need advice

Rao0411

Hi All...
Currently an F1 student interning for a company who is going apply for my H1 on April 1. Since this is my first time, is it imperative that I go back to India (where I am from) to get my visa stamped or can I get that done by going to Canada/Mexico??

Any insight would help :confused:

Thanks & Good Luck

In principle, you can get an H1 visa stamp from any consulate. However, remember that the consulate may request "security clearance" and they will not give you the visa stamp unless they get that from Washington DC, which means you would not be able to enter US for an uncertain amount of time (usually it is about 1.5 Month). If you can stay in Mexico or Canada for that length of time without any problem, then there is no issue. Otherwise it is best to go back to your home country. In my experience, the chances of getting a "clearance" is very high in any consulate other than Canada/Mexico/India.

Thanks ..that definately helps. I had decided to go to India originally, but I have heard the consulate in Bombay is a zoo! I'm just a bit apprehensive about that. I'll have to talk to my attorney and see what she suggests. May be I'll be better off just going to Canada, huh?
Thanks again.

I don't think there is any requirement for you to get a stamp to start working on H1. I didn't when I moved from F-1 to OPT to H-1. But, this was in 2000. I went for stamping in 2002 in Mexico and that too because I wanted to travel outside the US.

Thanks...
I would like to travel abroad so I think I may have to go and get my visa stamped. Do you think it will be easier to get stamped in Mexico as compared to India?? I would like to avoid going to India if I can, the bombay embassy is a zoo!
Any thoughts???

If you have a completed degree from US, with no common Muslim name and your job does not fall under TAL, then if I were you I would go either to Canada or Mexico for stamping!