Changing employers after I-485 approved but before stamping, plastic card

desi929

Registered Users (C)
Just wondering if there is a form / process I would have to go through after my I-485 is approved but before I get my passport stamped and / or receive the plastic green card.

I know we have to go through AC-21 if we change jobs before I-485, not sure about after the 485 is approved.

Thanks !!

desi929 said:
Just wondering if there is a form / process I would have to go through after my I-485 is approved but before I get my passport stamped and / or receive the plastic green card.

I know we have to go through AC-21 if we change jobs before I-485, not sure about after the 485 is approved.

Thanks !![/QUOTE

Hello Desi929,

I am on the same situation. I am working under contract for 5 years. Now, I want to be a direct hiring. So, I called my attorney today and he told me to don't worry about. Once, my I485 was pending for more than 180 days and I am working for my sponsor in the last 6 months. I got the I485 approved, so they cannot do anything about it! In accordance with my attorney, my company cannot revolke an approved GC. I should give them a 2 weeks notive, just to be nice if I want to! So, that's what I will do! I talked to my boss (on future company, off course), and he said I shouldn't even give them a notice. Another thing my attorney told me that I don't have to inform USCIS about my job change, once I no longer need sponsor. So, I guess we got the freedom. We should go forward!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Valcris29 said:
desi929 said:

Thanks !![/QUOTE

Hello Desi929,

I am on the same situation. I am working under contract for 5 years. Now, I want to be a direct hiring. So, I called my attorney today and he told me to don't worry about. Once, my I485 was pending for more than 180 days and I am working for my sponsor in the last 6 months. I got the I485 approved, so they cannot do anything about it! In accordance with my attorney, my company cannot revolke an approved GC. I should give them a 2 weeks notive, just to be nice if I want to! So, that's what I will do! I talked to my boss (on future company, off course), and he said I shouldn't even give them a notice. Another thing my attorney told me that I don't have to inform USCIS about my job change, once I no longer need sponsor. So, I guess we got the freedom. We should go forward!!

If you contract through another company, Before you join Client Company read the contract you sign with your hiring company. Most companies do not allow their employees to work for Client Company for about one year after they left the contracting company. In my case this is true I work for company B through Company A that sponsor my GC and I have been working for Company B for almost five years. Now I got my GC and Company B likes to hire me direct. But Company A says No and They gave me a choice to live my company A and work anywhere except Company B because of the contract I signed back in 1999.

Regards

wwossen said:
If you contract through another company, Before you join Client Company read the contract you sign with your hiring company. Most companies do not allow their employees to work for Client Company for about one year after they left the contracting company. In my case this is true I work for company B through Company A that sponsor my GC and I have been working for Company B for almost five years. Now I got my GC and Company B likes to hire me direct. But Company A says No and They gave me a choice to live my company A and work anywhere except Company B because of the contract I signed back in 1999.

Regards

Thanks for the info, but I do not remenber signing any papeer work in this subject. However, I will double check in contract paper work. Regards

desi929 said:

Thanks !!
Another concern people have about switching employers after GC approval is showing good faith intent on staying with the employer. This sort of issue should only arise during naturalization. There's been plenty of threads on this in the "life after GC" forum.