Changing companies

chetmate

If you start applying for your green card today, can you change companies at anytime during the process? Also, can the new company take over the process from the point where you leave the previous company?

I have heard varied opinions on this. So, I would appreciate if someone could provide a definitive answer.

chetmate said:
If you start applying for your green card today, can you change companies at anytime during the process? Also, can the new company take over the process from the point where you leave the previous company?
Of course you can change company anytime and restart the process since the job is employer and location specific.

I have heard varied opinions on this. So, I would appreciate if someone could provide a definitive answer.

Green Card is for future employment. SO you could go with a different employer now and have the current employer file for your GC and once it is approved, join him at that time.
Or
YOu could stay with the current employer, have him file for your GC and once you reach the I485 stage, 180 days into the filing of the 485 petition, if it has not been approved yet, you can change your employer and have your new employer continue with the 485.

follow up qs

Does this mean that before you reach that 1-485 (180 days condition) stage, if you shift companies, you have to start the process all over again from the very beginning?

Thanks for your response.

you put it correctly - yes!
chetmate said:
Does this mean that before you reach that 1-485 (180 days condition) stage, if you shift companies, you have to start the process all over again from the very beginning?

Thanks for your response.