Changing Children's Last Name

rksiva

Registered Users (C)
I am changing my first and last name via the naturalization process. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to how I would change my children's last names to match my new last name. Can this happen before the naturalization process completes or is it better to wait until I have my name change certificate from the court?

I live in Nassau County, Long Island, New York State.

Thanks!

Name changes for the children must be done in court, separately from the naturalization process. Contact your local City Hall for information about the process and fees. Or your state may have a web site with information about name changes.

You can change their names before naturalization, but if you do that you should avoid changing their names during your naturalization process. Otherwise their mid-stream name change could complicate your naturalization or vice versa, given that you are also changing your name. Either complete their name change before you apply for naturalization, or apply for their name change after your naturalization and name change is completed -- preferably after your naturalization, so their name change documentation will be linked to your new name and they can get US passports with their new name right after their names have changed.