Changes Coming on Aug 21- Be Aware

In looking at all these laws, I think the important issue we are not addressing is: If you have a pending case, what are your options? I mean, what are the practical steps you can take on your case to address some of these rule changes?

Background: I think that it is all good for us here, to talk about all these changes. From a theoretical perspective, this is good. Also, talking about the next administration repealing these rules, as far as i'm concerned, this is theoretical. For me, I want practical steps that can be taken to ensure success: In other words, for those things within an applicant's control, what can the applicant do to buttress their case in the face of such hostility from the administration. Some of these rules, once published, will take decades to be reversed.

Practical option (one among many!): a) review your case file with your lawyer. b) review the new rules. c) update your case with additional evidence/relevant exhibits, etc., esp. items that will pre-empty some of the new rules. d) follow the rule publishing dates, so you can be ready to submit case updates as soon as these rules are released. I always find that an avalanche of evidence and exhibits is always a positive.

Above steps, really something to think about if you case has been dormant for years. Changed country conditions, local relocation, case submission after 1 year, frivolous determination, pre-termission etc are some of the coming new rules they will use to deny cases.

Spot On! @7of9
See what can be done now; no point in discussing changing laws / future policies etc
These politicians say 100's of things and do something else specially in election year :)

Practical option (one among many!): a) review your case file with your lawyer. b) review the new rules. c) update your case with additional evidence/relevant exhibits, etc., esp. items that will pre-empty some of the new rules. d) follow the rule publishing dates, so you can be ready to submit case updates as soon as these rules are released. I always find that an avalanche of evidence and exhibits is always a positive.
Can you give some examples which will “pre-empty some of the new rules”?
For example, there are new rules on crossing other countries or seeking asylum in other countries. But all these questions are already in the forms and are discussed during the interview.

Hello Everyone. I entered the US in 2015 on an F2 visa and I changed my status to F1, and in March 2019, I had some troubles that made me unable to return to the country I used to live in. When the issue happened to me, I was in my last semester and I had to deal with the trauma, depression and graduation at the same time. As a result, I ended up applying for asylum in Feb 2020. I am still dealing with that issue and it brings me fear of death sentence in the country I was born.
My clock to get the EAD card shows 78 days and I am afraid that I cannot meet the 150 days till August 21st. I am worried sick since I have savings till September and I do not know what I should do for my expenses till April of 2021 if I can’t get my EAD card. I was hoping to get some help or suggestions regarding this matter and see if I am going to be in trouble for not applying in my first year of arrival. The new rules have been a bit confusing to say the least. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hello Everyone. I entered the US in 2015 on an F2 visa and I changed my status to F1, and in March 2019, I had some troubles that made me unable to return to the country I used to live in. When the issue happened to me, I was in my last semester and I had to deal with the trauma, depression and graduation at the same time. As a result, I ended up applying for asylum in Feb 2020. I am still dealing with that issue and it brings me fear of death sentence in the country I was born.
My clock to get the EAD card shows 78 days and I am afraid that I cannot meet the 150 days till August 21st. I am worried sick since I have savings till September and I do not know what I should do for my expenses till April of 2021 if I can’t get my EAD card. I was hoping to get some help or suggestions regarding this matter and see if I am going to be in trouble for not applying in my first year of arrival. The new rules have been a bit confusing to say the least. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Your clock is not correct. if you applied in Feb 2020, you should be able to apply for EAD in July and the new rules will not apply to you. In addition, the new EAD rules bars those applicants that missed the one-year deadline AND applied after the effective date of Aug 25, 2020. So, you should be good.
What happened to your OPT?
Did you get divorced?

Which city are you in?

People often ask me, why i help out on the forum, everyday! The reason is that, had i had access to this forum during my asylum case battle 2007-2009, it would have helped a lot. My aim is to always share practical steps to help fellow asylees succeed.

So, I asked about your current city because most cities have programs to help immigrants. In this economic Environment, having an EAD doesn’t guarantee that you will get a job to support yourself and your family. During my asylum battle, with no EAD, I utilized a lot of services from the city of Chicago. The department of health+family services had a lot of support programs. These support services are available in most big cities.

What support services?
1. Rent payment
2. Apartment search
3. Food
4. Lawyer support services for pending cases
5. Etc

These are services offered, to anybody, even you with no status. These are city services. Only federal and state services are denied to people with no status, most city services are not!

Question: if these services are available, why the homeless population? Good question. Missing appointments, not following the rules, refusing trhe provided help, mental health issues, drug addiction, etc are some of the reasons people are living on the street. Otherwise the cities are fighting homelessness everyday. For example, city of nyc will give you a hotel to stay in - they want everyone housed every night.

So, there are options for you if you dont get the EAD/job before your savings run out. Good luck!

I don't know why you all suprised. I'm waiting for my decision for 3 years and I agree that something needs to be done. All those people who just asking to stay with no reason really piss me off. 10% approval rate from Venezuela, so my case backlogged only because some cocksuckers wanna use existing laws. No mercy for liars!!! I would do it more tough if I can.
Why they allowed to pass asylum on spanish? If you dont speak English what are you doing here? If can't learn language and apply for 1 year you shouldn't be allowed to be here. I'm sorry but it's too tight here, so stupid people should stay home and don't complain

I don't know why you all suprised. I'm waiting for my decision for 3 years and I agree that something needs to be done. All those people who just asking to stay with no reason really piss me off. 10% approval rate from Venezuela, so my case backlogged only because some cocksuckers wanna use existing laws. No mercy for liars!!! I would do it more tough if I can.
Why they allowed to pass asylum on spanish? If you dont speak English what are you doing here? If can't learn language and apply for 1 year you shouldn't be allowed to be here. I'm sorry but it's too tight here, so stupid people should stay home and don't complain
In Nazi Germany, often the greatest oppressors where people from the communities discriminated against. Here you are, a fellow asylum seeker, advocating for the denial of asylum for your fellow comrades. What a shame. If you can't advocate for your fellow comrades, people seeking asylum like you, who will? Even if 1x10^-1bn percent of people from Venezuela are getting asylum, that is no reason for them to stop attempting. Who are you to decide whether their cases are genuine or not?

In my asylum battle, I too had momentary lapses in judgement. I will assign your comments to that phase. Frustration can breed all kinds of thoughts, which is understandable.

My advice: Each case has its merits, it is not up to us to judge. Even people from Norway, France, etc are applying for asylum in the US and getting it. Doesn't make sense to single out people from Venezuela, or any country. That is xenophobia. Good luck with your case. Thank you.

My lawyer sent me this guideline about the new EAD applications

Attachments

• Asylum EAD changes - PAIR Project Summary.pdf
    568.8 KB · Views: 35
They want F1 students whose classes have moved online to go home or be deported. Adding this here because it just USCIS is not playing around with all these rules. I think that they have rules in place we dont know about that will even be tougher on asylees/h1b/erc

What exactly is this? Did they block the new rules?
This is just one rule: Applicant must seek protection in the country they first entered after leaving their home country. This is just one rule. Like I said above, the rule is being blocked by judge on a technicality: it wasn't implemented correctly.