changed job 3.5 months after I-485 approval

darthvader

Registered Users (C)
Hi:

I got my GC through EB-1 in mid-Nov. 2005. Due to lack of funding, I was paid half time from Dec 2005 to Feb. 2006. I left for a new job in March 2006. I worked for that employer for more than 2 years on H1B.

I am thinking of applying for citizenship in Aug. 2010.

Would leaving the job so early affect my citizenship? The position was supposed to be "permanent" but funding went down between my I-485 application and approval of the I-485.

Thanks for any insight!:)

You have your permanent I-551 (green card) and it's done. It's not your fault that their funding ended. As for the citizenship application, the fact that you are not employed will not affect it. As per the exact interpretation of your relationship with your employer, the EB-1, and the H1-B, I am not qualified to answer that question.

Perhaps on the H1-B forum, you can find the answer.-:)

Hi:

I got my GC through EB-1 in mid-Nov. 2005. Due to lack of funding, I was paid half time from Dec 2005 to Feb. 2006. I left for a new job in March 2006. I worked for that employer for more than 2 years on H1B.

I am thinking of applying for citizenship in Aug. 2010.

Would leaving the job so early affect my citizenship? The position was supposed to be "permanent" but funding went down between my I-485 application and approval of the I-485.

Thanks for any insight!:)

No problems

Hi Darthvader.

I do not see any problem you leaving your employer after 485 approval in a few months. Just try to get any documentation that will support your claim(half pay etc etc).

One tip is do not volunteer any information during interview unless they specifically ask for it. (That is not to say not mention it on N-400). You should declare everything "truthfully" on N-400 and also take the documentation/information with you. However do not offer to give any information during the interview unless IO asks about it.

Although some IO may delve into details about the employment. From what I have seen on the board a very small % of IOs focus on employment.

In your case you worked for your employer and with him till your 485 was approved (and a few months after that too) so you should be fine.

all the best.

no problem - I left my employer after 1.5 months

I left my employer after 1.5 months of obtaining GC. I recently had my citizenship interview. When compared to others' experiences in my case IO dwelved a lot into my case regarding taxes and SS registration, green card, etc. regarding employment she only asked if I am still working at the current employer. As suggested here don't volunteer any information. Just answer to the poin. I mostly used yes or no answers wherever possible :)