Change your new address with INS by sending AR-11 only

AjayBhosale

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
I am a silent viewer of this board. I am putting my experience on this board today and hope it will help others:

My Details :
NSC
Approval Date - 1/02
Stamping Date - 2/02
Card sent on 7/02 to old address

At the time of stamping I gave my new address to IIO. He asked me to write my new address on Approval Notices itself. Also sent AR-11 form RECENTLY. But it seems that INS has not modified my new address and they sent the card to old address. My lawyer told me that "Even though you modify your address at the time of stamping, you still have to send AR-11 form to INS."
(Alas !! I sent it too late........)
So Friends,
'SEND AR-11 FORM AND REPORT YOUR NEW ADDRESS TO INS'

Now my tragedy... is ..
Post office delivered this mail to old address even though I had given a forwarding address to Post office. My ex rrom mate (desi) who had a habbit of 'opening others' mails' received that mail. (Most our friends had left his house because of his bad habbit)
Our another friend staying him with called me and told that he (bad guy) received my green card. I called him and asked but he is denying that, and saying he did not receive anything.
I called with post office and they admitted that it may happen by mistake and the postman also felt guilty and told me that he delivered some mails to old address but don't remember what mails he delivered.

Now I don't know how to get my GC? Do I need to call INS or do I need to go to Police? I don't have any strong proof against my ex room mate.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Thanks JoeF

Thanks JoeF. I talked to mylawyer also. He also suggested the same thing. But according to him, its INS....so it may take longer to get another card.

Update...Spoke with IIO...

Hi friends,

I spoke with IIO regarding my case and also got new information regarding address change.

She said INS (Govt.) mails will never be forwarded. Post office is not supposed to forward those mails. If they do, its a mistake.
Also no one can misuse ur GC (She was very sure about security features of the card).

She told me that we have to notify the officer about any address cnhanges at the time of passport stamping OR if we change address after I-551 stamping then we have to notify the Service Center eventhough we file AR-11 form and send it to W' DC.

**** "She said that we have to notify the address change to Service Center" ****

She also said if we doubt that our mail from INS is opened by somebody, tell INS and INS will take immediate action. Its a federal crime. Postal/Poice enquiries are different matters than INS.

This relieved me a lot. hope this info helps you too.

Ajay

Last edited by a moderator: