Change visa from J1 to exsiting B1\2 ??? help..

yonihouston

Hello everyone, im flying tomrrow to the US to work as a camp counclor on a J1 visa. My J1 expires on 31'st of september and id like to stay afterwards.

I have a B1\2 visa untill 2012.

All i want is to change the status from my J1 to B1\2 so i can still stay in the U.S. and visit family and friends.

Can i change my status without re-entering the country? If i fill an i-539 form and pay 300$ - can they still decline the change of status? And if they do change my visa- who decides how long am I premitted to stay in the USA (max 6 months?).

oh and i do not have that 2 year rule as well.

Any help will be welcomed. Thank you so much.

Jonathan

Last edited by a moderator:
You are fine. Plan ahead to submit your documents properly.

Yes, they can decline to do the COS. Remember if the COS is denied you will need to leave US immediately. The USCIS determines the length of your B2 authorized stay. What is odd though in your scenario is that a young person (camp counselor) would not need to return home to attend school or work.

thank you for your reply.

1. im not familar with the term COS- what does that mean? and what exactly is USCIS - how much do u usually get?
2. and i finished school im 22.
3. Is there any reason for them to decline? ive already got my plane ticket back and my visa is from 2002 when i used to live with my parents in houston so i still have friends there and also a valid texas drivers license (if thats of any help).