Change of student status from F1 to F2

drnishu

Registered Users (C)
Hello everybody,

I am doing my master's in Biology and my wife doing her MBA. We both r in the same university. We both came here together. This is our first semester. I want to change my student status from F1 to F2 dependent. My wife will persue her studies as primary F1 student. I have following questions to ask........
1) is it possible to change my status from F1 to F2????What are the chances of rejection?
2) How long it will take to change my status to F2? I don't want to persue my second semester that begins around 15th of January 2006.
3) do i need to explain the USCIS why I need to change my status?
4) Should I contact the office of ISS? Do they really cooperate in this issue as they are loosing its student and fees!!!!!!! :confused:
5) Should I contact any profesional lawyer for this matter????
6) Do I need to fill the form I-134 as affidavit of support? is it really necessary? I don't have any relative in the USA.
7) Who should provide me proof of finanacial support? I mean my parents of my wife's parents????
8) Can I go to my mother country on F2?

1) is it possible to change my status from F1 to F2????What are the chances of rejection?
yes, and "like everybody else's"
2) How long it will take to change my status to F2? I don't want to persue my second semester that begins around 15th of January 2006.

several months, but as soon as you apply, you will still be in legal status.

3) do i need to explain the USCIS why I need to change my status?
yes
4) Should I contact the office of ISS? Do they really cooperate in this issue as they are loosing its student and fees!!!!!!!

they should help.

5) Should I contact any profesional lawyer for this matter????
it's not necessary.

6) Do I need to fill the form I-134 as affidavit of support? is it really necessary? I don't have any relative in the USA.

if I-539 requires it, then, yes. If it doesn't require (which for non-immigrant status it shouldn't), then - no.

7) Who should provide me proof of finanacial support? I mean my parents of my wife's parents????
either+your wife.
8) Can I go to my mother country on F2?
You can leave the States, try to get F-2 visa and come back on it if successful. A visa is probably not required for you to visit your own country.

f1 to f2

is it also true that if you change status from f1 to f2, you will still be required to register for 9 units of classes as if you are still a student? iss told me this, I don't know if they are just discouraging me from changing status

in F-2 status you can only enroll part-time, even if you want to study. You don't have to study at all, unless you are in high, middle or elementary school. You are considered as maintaining status as long as your F-1 spouse maintains his/hers.

Change of status to F-2 (inside the United States)

Please refer to the checklist below and contact your international student advisor for more

guidance.

Checklist of documents needed:

* I-20 marked for “Dependent” from Emory's ISSP office.
* Completed I-539 Form
* Cover letter addressed to US Citizenship and Immigration Services telling your

non-immigrant history in the U.S, explaining why you are requesting thischange of status now

and how you will be supported financially as an F-2 ($8400 per year).
* Copies of all your current and former immigration documents, including passport, I-94,

and visa and copies of the any primary’s immigration documents if you are changing to a

dependent status.
* Fee of $200.00 made payable to US Citizenship and Immigration Services
* Copies of your financial documents showing how you will be funded as a dependent

($8400 per year)
* Copy of marriage certificate in English or translated with certification
* Letter of support from Emory representative for the application.