change of status

check_me22

Registered Users (C)
hey there all
i have a query.
I am on F-1 status and my fiancee is a US citizen. We are both in school at different places and thus not at the same place. Is it advisable to marry when we get together at the same place and get a home and all other accounts together or can we just get married right away, i apply for adjustment of status and we can show our school admit/transcripts as reason for our different place of residence.
(We were at the same school when we met but my advisor moved and i had to move with my advisor.)
The catch is that if we get married after i finish and move back to her, my F1 will expire and i will have to get a H1 and then adjust the status. Instead i have a valid F1 visa right now and applying right now after marriage will save me the time and hassle to look for H1 visa later by some employer.
In other words Do USCIS raise the objections of not stayinf together for couples even if there are valid reasons like attending school as in my case ? Is is worthwhile to wait till we get together to be safe or it does not matter? How do USCIS ppl look at it ?
i will appreciate any suggestions/ comments

check_me22 said:
hey there all
i have a query.
I am on F-1 status and my fiancee is a US citizen. We are both in school at different places and thus not at the same place. Is it advisable to marry when we get together at the same place and get a home and all other accounts together or can we just get married right away, i apply for adjustment of status and we can show our school admit/transcripts as reason for our different place of residence.
(We were at the same school when we met but my advisor moved and i had to move with my advisor.)
The catch is that if we get married after i finish and move back to her, my F1 will expire and i will have to get a H1 and then adjust the status. Instead i have a valid F1 visa right now and applying right now after marriage will save me the time and hassle to look for H1 visa later by some employer.
In other words Do USCIS raise the objections of not stayinf together for couples even if there are valid reasons like attending school as in my case ? Is is worthwhile to wait till we get together to be safe or it does not matter? How do USCIS ppl look at it ?
i will appreciate any suggestions/ comments

There have been cases where husband and wife have stayed in separate states for various legit reasons and were still approved for AOS during the interview. If your marriage is bonafide and your reasons for staying apart are genuine, you should not have problems with getting your AOS approved. However after your GC is approved, you must collect more evidence to show you living together and sharing financial responsibilities in order to file the I-751

You just explain the reasons and is the same reasons that you should tell the officer, that you both want to continue and finish your studies but at the same time want to get marry to be starting saving money together and share responsabilities.

Many people have been in your same situation, you can look up on the search engine like "AOS living apart" or some type of words that something can come up.

Just collect enough evidence that you visit each other (plane/train tickets), pictures of you together were you met, etc.

Good luck,