change of status

sy1234

Hi,

Currently I am on h4 Visa. My h1 got approved yesterday. My residency program is starting on July this year. But i have h4 valid till July 2005. If i go back to India for vacation can i come back with H4 visa ? should go for h1 stamping in India?
Thanks

If you go out of US you need a H1 stamp in order to continue your residency program (assumedly the basis for your H1).
Remember H4 to h1 stamp for a doctor( I presume) who "lied" in the H4 interview face some tough questions in US consulates.
Go to ttsvisas.com and find out what are all the documents needed before you venture out of US.
Also please post your experiences here later... good luck.

Thanks for reply,
I wanted to do my stamping during my next visit to India.
This time i would like to come back with the H4 visa.
I am going to start my residency in June and i will return back in mid of may .

If you come back on H4, it basically means that you are abondaning your H1

If you come back on H4, it basically means that you are abondaning your H1 . H1 becomes invalid.

occupation vs education

Can one try the following: the DS156 asks about a person's current occupation and not speifically education. One could be a doctor but could be working as anyone, a journalist, politician, or just be a housewife. So if you said you were a housewife on your H4 DS156, then you could justify that you wrote that because you were not working at that time. And now you want to do a residency, and so you want H1B. Any thoughts?