Change of Status F2 to F1 - No response

sampathid

Registered Users (C)
I sent my documents for the change of status from F2 to F1 on last week of November 2006. The bank checque for the processing fee is already credited by USCIS - TSC (according to my bank info). That means it should b filed on the first week of December. Still I dont have any information wether it is filed or not. When i checked the USCIS web , they r working on the cases filed on Sep 14, 2006. So with this information, im wondering how many days it will take to know at least whether my case is filed or not? Plz anyone with similar situation..........????

they usually credit your account when they confirm receipt of your application and not when it has been processed. if you sent in ur application at the end of nov and they credited your account in the first week of dec, then you should have received a receipt notice with your case number which allows you to better check your status. if you havnt recieved it within 30 days or something like that, i would suggest calling USCIS for at least your receipt notice.

Thats how it worked at the Vermont center when i applied and should be the same for u

got my change of status to F1 (filed on Dec 04)

Yesterday i got my Approval notice from the USCIS Texas Service Center. And today i got a mail from the International office saying they recieved my I-20 with the specified status. I just manged to enroll for another subject in order complete 9 hours F1 requirement b'se today is the last day for late registration.......... :)

As i can see on my case, now USCIS is not providing correct information regarding the processing. B'se my filing date was Dece 04 2006. I didnt get the notice of recipt .....but i got my change of status within appro 1 1/2 month time. So ppl i recommend u to file cases through ur University International office. And remember to provide a good covering letter with ur document pack. If anyone need help on the covering letter plz dont hecitate to contact........

I know how hard to prepare a good covering letter for change of status to F1. B'se i had the same problem. Another thing, provide correct financial information with all ur bank statements..........this is really important.

best of luck all...............thanx forum for da help.........

Last edited by a moderator:
Many people contacted me and asked for the template letter I sent to USCIS for my change of status. To avoid answering all the individual emails I get, here's the template letter. Please be advised that my situation might be different from your currant reason for change of status. So, don't try to copy/paste the letter, change accordingly. Also, I'm not liable for any outcome of using this particular template and remember this is not a standard template, its merely a reference template for you to look into and make something specific for your reason for change of status.

<Date>

United States Citizenship and Immigration Service
<Address of the Service center where u have to file ur case>

To Whom It May Concern:

I, <ur name>, am submitting this letter with the application for a change of visa status from F2 to F1. Initially, I arrived to <place u r living at US> with the intention of staying with my wife/husband <name> for few months. She/He is a graduate/undergrad student in <field> from the Department of <dept name> in <University>. Currently, I have been offered an opportunity to study as a full-time, regular student in order to pursue my academic career to earn a <ur field of study > from the <University>.

Since my <ur degree or education> degree in <name of the degree or highest education qualification>, which I obtained in <Your country>, is not competitive enough for me to apply for Graduate/Undergraduate College I was not planning to continue my education in United States. Fortunately, I was lucky enough to be given this chance to continue my education and start a healthy marriage here in <city u r living at US>. I believe that this is one of the best opportunities that I have been given in my life and definitely it is best for both of me and my wife/Husband.

My, <name or any sponsor>, is capable of supporting me with tuition and living expenses for my graduate/undergrad studies. Additionally, my wife/husband has a graduate research assistantship at the Department of <name of it> with a stipend of $…… per year. This assistantship also her/him eligible for in-state tuition rates, as well as health care benefits and other associated privileges.

In addition to I-539 application form, I am submitting I-20, I-94, financial support documents, a copy of visa page, passport picture page, $xxx SEVIS Fee receipt, and $xxx filing fee.

Furthermore, I can guarantee that I have not worked illegally at anytime since my arrival to United States. Finally, I am certain that I will maintain my status as a full-time student and use this opportunity to enrich my education career if you grant this request. Thank you, in advance for your consideration of this petition.

Sincerely,