change of residence and jurisdiction

hahumiaomiao

Registered Users (C)
Hi, all,

I've a couple questions regarding immigration. Can those who have gone through similar things give me some suggestions?

If one has filed (as a dependent) for green card with a spouse, and is now moving onto a new position in a different state, can he/she file a new case based on his/her employment? If yes, does he/she have to withdraw the first case before filing the second, or keep both viable?

When one moves to a different state and jurisdiction, how should he/she handle a pending case? Transfer it, notify the original jurisdiction of the change, or start a new case?

Any advice along these lines will be deeply appreciated.

Regards,
:confused:

If one has filed (as a dependent) for green card with a spouse, and is now moving onto a new position in a different state, can he/she file a new case based on his/her employment? If yes, does he/she have to withdraw the first case before filing the second, or keep both viable?
As per the Recent postings, it is not advisable to have two applications with the INS.

When one moves to a different state and jurisdiction, how should he/she handle a pending case? Transfer it, notify the original jurisdiction of the change, or start a new case?

If the whole family is relocating to a new place, you need to file an AR-11 form for each member of the family.

If the whole family is not moving or you are still maintaining the address which is given in 485, you need not file AR11.

Hope this helps

Hope this helps.

Thank you!

When I file AP11, does that mean the case will be transferred to a new jurisdiction? If so, how long does it usually take?

I filed as a dependent with my husband who started with labor certificate. Now that I've graduated with a Ph.D., and am moving onto a two-year position in a different jurisdiction, do you think it makes sense if I file a different case with my husband as dependent?

Also, if my husband moves with me, which means he'll change his employer, would this jeopardize his (our) current pending 485?

Thanks again. :confused:

What are your dates (RD, ND,FP etc) ?

When I file AP11, does that mean the case will be transferred to a new jurisdiction? If so, how long does it usually take?
Exactly this is the question I have in mind for myself. I did not get a proper answer on this question from any one including myattorney. It may or may not get transferred. But if it is transferred there might be a good delay. Usually INS takes a good time say 2 to 3 months to transfer the case from one service center to another. Not to frighten you, but one of my friend's file is actually lost in the transit.

I filed as a dependent with my husband who started with labor certificate. Now that I've graduated with a Ph.D., and am moving onto a two-year position in a different jurisdiction, do you think it makes sense if I file a different case with my husband as dependent?

I guess usually Phd's can apply in Eb1 which might be quicker, But if your case through ur husband is already near the approval dates coming through now, you are better off to wait. May be your husband can maintain the same address in that case.

Also, if my husband moves with me, which means he'll change his employer, would this jeopardize his (our) current pending 485?

The thing is I've fingerprinted, whereas he hasn't received his fp notice yet. He's been trying to contact TSC, never get through. This means we've no idea when our case will be approved. How long does EB1 take?

Thanks

EB1 is generally quick, you can refer any of the web sites (such as immigration.com,murthy.com) as to how much time it is taking for processing a Eb1 case. I guess if it is a EB1 category LC stage need not be done. Better to talk to a good attorney.