Change of Name

jollyguy

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

my wife and I obtained our GC about 2.5 yrs ago and have been married for the last 9 yrs. We never changed her maiden name from all the documents and even her GC is with the same. Now we have had a baby and I have been led to believe that there could be potential travel problems if the baby's last name (which is mine) and mothers last name do not match.

My questions are:

1. Does it matter if the last names are different?
2. What would be the process of changing her last name? (I am assuming I just need to fill the I90 form for this)
3. Her PP is up for renewal as well so could I have to submit the paperwork for GC change and then PP or can I both simultaneously?

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

jollyguy said:
Hi,

my wife and I obtained our GC about 2.5 yrs ago and have been married for the last 9 yrs. We never changed her maiden name from all the documents and even her GC is with the same. Now we have had a baby and I have been led to believe that there could be potential travel problems if the baby's last name (which is mine) and mothers last name do not match.

My questions are:

1. Does it matter if the last names are different?
------------NO
2. What would be the process of changing her last name? (I am assuming I just need to fill the I90 form for this)
------------I-90 and documents needed for name change. read the instruction on form I-90
3. Her PP is up for renewal as well so could I have to submit the paperwork for GC change and then PP or can I both simultaneously?
-----------first get name changed passport and then apply for I-90 for name change on GC.

*** she may have to change her name on DL, SSN card, credit cards and on credit history
Thanks in advance for your inputs.

jollyguy:

Make sure to correct the name in SSN after changing the name in PP & GC.
And also don't forget DL name change...

Good luck
howdy_howdy
//