Change of Job... most discussed !

nscnohope

Registered Users (C)
I have read the past posts about changing jobs after G.C . I have also read the paper that is often quoted and is very informative.
But would like to hear from experts about the level of risk in doing so and what we can do to best guard us against that risk if we do choose to take that risk. . I agree with many earlier posts that state that we have not heard a case of someone we know or heard about losing GC because of changing jobs after GC. Because of this, we have to rely on the legal interpretation of the \'permanent intent\'.
I also get the feeling that this subject is probably a non issue and we are giving too much importance rather than just minding our career after the GC( that is doing what is best for our career ).
Experts advise about level of risk (is it more than the risk of driving in road !) and what we can do to minimise the impact if we do happen to face the consequence would help.

No Title

I am not a law expert and I will just summarize below my views and others\':

1. The more difficult it was for you to get the GC the more you should think about taking an action that will put it in jeopardy.

2. It seems that the current risk of getting your permanent residency rescinded on employment intent is small. It is everybody\'s guess how things will evolve in the medium and far future - see the McCarthy years and other sudden swings in american political life. Even if US citizens want to get rid of all immigrants it is unlike that they will focus on the \'intent of permanent employment\'. Most people (including immigrants) are not even aware of this obscure point of the law.

3. One of the best things you can do is to keep a paper trail of your pre-post GC history with the company. That assumes that you will not screw up and that the company will.

4. If you are really in an abusive work situation you should contact a lawyer. Most people focus so more on the GC that they forget about other legal problems they may get into. If you are working for an a..... and they do want you to quit there are lots of ways to make your life miserable, besides immigration.

5. What are you trying to achieve with your request to this board? You will find people who will tell you to not worry and just go ahead with the job change. Will this make you feel better? If you are really worried about this issue do yourself a favor, pay $350 to talk with a lawyer and secure his future support should you get in trouble. The mentionned price is for Shusterman, I imagine that most lawyers would be less expensive.

Good luck!

My question

My question is what is the level of risk and what can we do to minimise the risk. I do get a feeling that permanent residence is
permanent residence and the intent is established at the time of approval of I485. However there are always fraud in all walks of life but changing job say within 6 months may hardly constitute fraud. I do think we are overblowing this ... So just wanted to know how big a risk are we talking about. Is it reasonable to assume that after 6 months of approval, change is accepted...and the risk is minimal.

No Title

I am actively looking for information on this topic. None seems to be available besides the opinion of other posters and the imminfo document. From the lack of information you could conclude that the risk is minimal - personally I don\'t however I can afford postponing this decision.

Two year limit

Joef, this is the first time, i am hearing about two year term and that being in the law.

gotcher opinion change

Everyone quotes the document from imminfo.com. However its dated from
1999 ( before AC21 ). Ron Gotcher\'s recent postings say that he
does not believe INS can challenge anybody who changes job after
180 days of filing 485.

Having said that. I don\'t want to be the one who gets to take the
INS to court.