change of employer! I need your help

logx

Registered Users (C)
Is it possible to change employers before 180 days? gurus please respond. A friend of mine filed his I485 three months ago with the CSC and want to change to a new employer before he gets laid off at his current job which isn't very stable.
Thanks in advance for your input

Last edited by a moderator:
Straight answer: Not possible prior to 180 days after filing I-485.

If current employer is cooperative given their financial situation and perhaps an awareness of immigrants' problems, an interim solution maybe to officially work for both companies on EAD for another 3 months, after which it will be legal to change sponsoring employer under AC21.

niladri30, current employer is very undertsanding, he has no problem with him swicthing to a new job, he has no intention of revoking his 140. Thanks in advance for your feedback

Then you probably want to consider the approach suggested above.

This approach is not bullet-proof, though, as there are issues about paystubs that may require some very creative resolution, right from the start. However, RFE asking for EVL and paystubs so early in the game is unlikely.

I would just concentrate on keeping the end date with old employer and start date with new employer legal, and try and have the ability to prove I was drawing the LC-stated salary from the old employer too... but as I said, that is conservative planning, given that the filing is only 3 months old.

There would still be a problem if old employer goes out of business earlier than another 3 months, and someone at BCIS spots that (maybe due to another application involving the same employer)... but one can rarely plan for everything!