Change LastName

tmmet

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
Currently, I have my last name as my father's first name in SS card,DL,Marriage Certificate , credit cards etc.,

I am planning to change my lastname by filling out my new lastname (Husband's first name) in N-400 form.
My questions are
1. Can the last name be my husband's first name (as per the South Indian naming standard).Will this pose any problem as in U.S. both husband and wife will have the same last name (which is not in Indian naming standard).
Pls. advice.

2. Also, Do I have to change the name in my marriage certificate with my new last name ? Normally, in India, wife takes husband's first name as her last name after marriage.

Please let me know if you know.

Thanks in advance,

Name change

You can have any name you want and they don't care. While they will check the validity of your marriage if you are using the marriage route to naturalization, you are free to pick your name.

You can choose any name you want, but it is kind of contradictory to be using the US citizenship process to make your name become more like what is done in a non-US country. People normally use the N-400 name change to make their name more Americanized, because after all, they're becoming Americans.

You can choose any name you want, but it is kind of contradictory to be using the US citizenship process to make your name become more like what is done in a non-US country. People normally use the N-400 name change to make their name more Americanized, because after all, they're becoming Americans.

I was actually a bit surprised (not in a bad way, just neutral surprise :) ) to read this from Jackolantern. Usually Jack is like, you can do whatever as long as it is fully legal :D

I changed my last name from father's first name to husband's first name during naturalization a couple of years ago. I had to change my name with SSA, bank, workplace etc, but other than that i did not face any problems.

No. I don't think you can/need to make changes in your marriage certificate in India. Your old marriage certificate and your name change court order should prove that you are married to your husband.

A friend of mine got her green card in her spouse's name. Years later (after getting a divorce) she filed for citizenship and asked at the interview to change it, but when she got her Oath letter it had not been changed. She called about it and was told there was nothing they could do and that she could change it at the Oath Ceremony. Anyone know if that is possible?

Hi,
Currently, I have my last name as my father's first name in SS card,DL,Marriage Certificate , credit cards etc.,

I am planning to change my lastname by filling out my new lastname (Husband's first name) in N-400 form.

You can change name to whatever you want. They don't care if it is Husbands name or father's name or some other name. Just keep in mine one thing that name change in some DOs can cause a little delay in getting oath letter (Not all DOs, just some DOs that do same day oath)
As mentioned above, you will have to then change all the documents in US (SSN, Bank etc)

A friend of mine got her green card in her spouse's name. Years later (after getting a divorce) she filed for citizenship and asked at the interview to change it, but when she got her Oath letter it had not been changed. She called about it and was told there was nothing they could do and that she could change it at the Oath Ceremony. Anyone know if that is possible?

Oath letter may not have the new name since name is not yet legally changed. It changes on the oath day by the signed order. So oath letter comes with old name.

Does your friend remember what name she wrote on the side of photo (And on the piece of paper in front of IO) Also if name change was ordered, there must be another paper that she has to sign infront of IO. Did she do any of that?
If she did those things, then name change will happen at oath. If she wrote her previous name on the photo, then name change is not in their system and I don't think you can ask them to initiate that on oath day.
Hope that helps

You can change your first name, last name, or both names, to whatever you like. That's what America is all about. In my old country, it takes 6 months to 1 year to apply for a name change and only if you can show the judge a good and valid reason to do so.(only 10% of name change cases are ever granted by the courts)

But please do not change your name to "Princess Consuela Banana Hammock" :D

Oath letter may not have the new name since name is not yet legally changed. It changes on the oath day by the signed order. So oath letter comes with old name.

Does your friend remember what name she wrote on the side of photo (And on the piece of paper in front of IO) Also if name change was ordered, there must be another paper that she has to sign infront of IO. Did she do any of that?
If she did those things, then name change will happen at oath. If she wrote her previous name on the photo, then name change is not in their system and I don't think you can ask them to initiate that on oath day.
Hope that helps

Thanks. I don't know the answers to those questions. I'll have to ask her. Perhaps she did everything correctly and will be able to make the change at Oath.