change job after Green card?

sammalik

Registered Users (C)
Green card was approved in April 2004

1. After Green Card Approved Is there any wait time to change a job ?

2. Or can some change the job immediately after the Green card is approved ?

I remember some said should wait for atleast Six months after GC approval, is it true ?

If current employer need me badly and I resign Can it affect my GC ? Since my current employer sponsered it.

Any help is appreciated...

6-8 months is just a guesstimate to be on the safer side. There's no full proof law for that but you may be asked after few years during your citizenship interview that why you left your company immediately after getting GC. They might think that the intention was just to get the the GC and not working for that employer. But again I've not heard any case like that where someone had any issue doing it.

I asked my lawyer the same question and he said you are safe if you leave after one month of getting the green card.

I asked him that question on two separate occasions. Got the same answer.

osm

The question is more of a hypothetical one, now a days. Since the GC/AoS processing takes more 2 years. You have had every intention of being with the employer for more than 2 years. So, my personal belief, you are on the safe side.

This question assumes importance if you acquire GC through Consular Processing.

This has been one of the most widely discussed topic on this board for several years now.

You can part with your employer right after getting GC. Only thing you will have to prepare to show is that you made this decision after getting the GC. Meaning, you will have to show that you had the intent to work permanently with the employer until the approval date. Something out of the ordinary happened and you decided (or your were made) to leave. Changed employment circumstances capable of making it difficult for you to perform your normal duties, involuntary layoff, move of office to another location (and you were not made aware of this fact before approval)... etc. could be some of the examples. Or, work for 6-7 months after approval. The longer you work the harder it becomes to argue/show (for BCIS) that you did not have intent to work permanently.

krishnakt,

I have the same case detail as you.

Aug 2002
2nd FP: 04/2004
3rd EAD : 05/2004

Did u hear any thing for your case ?

Ub

Ub,

I have recently done my second FP (June 2004). And I am not a concurrent filer.

And I have not heard anything from the BCIS. I guess, I am back to wait state :(

ubhavsar said:
krishnakt,

I have the same case detail as you.

Aug 2002
2nd FP: 04/2004
3rd EAD : 05/2004

Did u hear any thing for your case ?

Ub

I asked the lawyer the same question. This is what he said

Since GC is for future employment and there is a clause in the the hand book that if you quit immediately after getting your GC, it may be classified as a fraud. This will cause problems during the citizenship interview.
It would be ideal to stay with the sponsoring employer atleast for 60 days.

It would be prudent to jump jobs during the EAD ( post 60 day period ) using AC-21

Right after the GC

What if right after the GC stamping, becoming an independent contractor for the GC sponsor and also getting more income, and still maintaining business relationship with the GC sponsor?

Do you think that is a problem?

That would be a good thing for both sponsor and us, because sponsor can save employer Tax (SS, Medicare, ...), which is a fairly big amount for big payroll and we also can deduct business expense, which saves money for us too.

Last edited by a moderator: