Change job after GC

gcnowap

Registered Users (C)
My GC is approved last month. I got a new offer from a big company which would pay me 30% more than my current salary.

I asked my attorney if I can change job. He said as long as my I-485 had been pending for 180 days before and 1 month after my GC approval, I am safe to leave.

I saw from this forum many people said need to wait for 6 months after GC approval before changing the job? is this true?

Thanks

gcnowap said:
I saw from this forum many people said need to wait for 6 months after GC approval before changing the job? is this true?

That's just a thumb rule - assuming 6 month period is safe enough to prove the intend. There is no definite law regarding this issue.

The usual suggestion is to wait between 3 - 6 months to establish intent. Other than that you can pretty much decide which way you want to roll.

Thanks very much.

I have worked in my current company for 5 years with no salary increase. Now I have 300 hours PTO (paid time off), which means I can take almost 2 months time off. Since my GC has been approved for more than 1 month. If I quit my job now, does that mean my last day in the company is 2 month later (since i have paid time off)? and I am safe to leave since I have worked more than 3 months in my company after my GC approved?

I urgently need those people with extensive experience on this.

Thanks again!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
How about you take vacation from COmpany A and start working with B. Since you have a green card, you can work with more than 1 company, I suppose.

GCNOWAP it's a good idea to go on leave for 2 months since you have some paid vacations. I am also in the same situation. I am with the company who filed my GC for the past 5 + years now and they haven't increased my salary since 9/11. I got my approval in Sep'2004. I am about to finish my current contract on Nov 15th and planning to join a company during December 2004.

But I will not inform my present company till Jan'05 or Feb 05. I told them that I am planning to visit India, instead I will stay here and join the other company. I think we can do that which will be safe. Anyhow I already crossed 2 months of GC approval.

Good Luck and go for Good Dollars. If not today, how long will you suffer with the present tensions. These are only my views.

Thanks Tenseguy

I agree. I would work for another couple weeks, and take 2 month vacations. Then come back to my company to say good byte!!!

My manager had promised couple times to increase my salary, but finally he said HR didn't agree, what a shit!!!

gcnowap, Good Luck and after coming back don't even expect that your company will agree to your demands. Just do what you think is good. I would say, if you are not interested in talking vacation, then just stay here and accept some other job without informing your present employer. Take pay if he pays you(bench pay) and say Adios........... to him. That way, you will have 2 incomes which you can enjoy a lot.

Anyways Good Luck and best wishes to you........