Change from H1 to TN at Mexican border

richardz88

Hi guys,
First post here :)
I am a canadian currently using a H1 visa working in the states. I am planning to travel to Mexican border and apply TN visa/status. Do you think it is a feasible plan?
The reason I am asking here is because a power user (raevsky) in this forum states that "The only way you can avoid getting a visa (if you do not have I-94 with TN notation) is to enter US from Canada." so I am not sure whether I have to enter from Canada or I can do in from Mexican side.
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Clearly raevsky doesn't know anything about Cdns, or about TN. Notice that he doesn't post in this particular TN forum, has he would have his head handed to him for a comment like that.

Cdns are exempt from visa requirement for work authorizations whether they arrive from canada, Mexico, anywhere else on earth, or from the space station. Period. You didn't get a visa for your H1-B, and you won't get one now.

So, get your paperwork in order, call ahead to the particular border POE you wantto go to (that is one differnce for Mexico vs Canada POE), and get you new I-94.

And if you ahve TN questions, don't wander around this board; come straight to this forum.

I got my TN visa and nowadays officer will tell that I94 is electronic. so couple of questions coming into my mind.

1. If someone travels outside north america as I know TN become void earlier people use to take paper I94 before passing through immigration will it work now?

2. Can a person apply by mail for TN for a new employer?

2. Very likely scenarion for me if some one working on TN in USA and get new job offer to join on TN and later in march 2014 client is ready to file H1B and green card. Whether he will need visa and H1B stamped on his passport to comeback. As I know US stopped H1B visa stamping with in USA a person should take appointment to get it H1b stamped.

1. The TN does not become void. The I-94 simply need to be re-issued, based on the old I-94.
2. Of course
3. Not if he is Cdn.