Change employer after six months even if I-140 is not approved.

Damnit

Registered Users (C)
I heard that one can change the employer even if I-140 is not approved after six month of I-485 reciept. Is that true. You guys wanna throw some comments in here.

Damnit, you can change the employer, but the risk on you if you get RFE, I mean, the employer has to agree to answer the RFE's even if you leave the company.. If he doesn't answer the RFE, then your I-140 is at risk..

If no RFE's then you are fine..

Also, your employer should agree not to withdraw your application in between the day you leave the company and I-140 approval..

So, in the end, your employer is your saviour !!

Originally posted by Damnit
I heard that one can change the employer even if I-140 is not approved after six month of I-485 reciept. Is that true. You guys wanna throw some comments in here.

You can change employer but with Risk.

1. If I140 get approved later - No problem
2. If employer withdraws I140- U lose everything
3. If BCIS raises RFE, employer may not respond and withdraw I140 - u lose whole Greencard process
4. U need to remember as long as I140 is not Approved, employer can withdraw it anytime and use approved labor as a carrot for future employee (Approved labor has lifelong validity and can be used for anyone who fits that profile)

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Damnit
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard that one can change the employer even if I-140 is not approved after six month of I-485 receipt. Is that true.
---- It is NOT true if you want to use AC21 and don’t want to take risk. If you want to take risk then it true .To use AC21 you need I-140 APPROVED AND I-485 pending more than 180 days AND new employer should be ready to give you future permanent job offer letter in same/similar skills as on approved LC of past employer to use AC21

There is a USCIS memo which states that at the time of approval of I-140 the petitioner (employer) should have intention to hire you for a permanent position.

There is a USCIS memo which states that at the time of approval of I-140 the petitioner (employer) should have intention

-- How do the USCIS check the INTENTION of employer? Do they administer some psychological test at the time when employer files I-140 or they give psychosocial test to check the employer intent to hire when I-140 is pending? How do they check the intent of employer? Please guide. It seems that when the employer files I-140 for an employee he has the Intent to hire if he does not have intent or changes intent then he revokes the I-140 (the law/regulations/Memo does not say that he MUST revoke the I-140 if intent is changed)
to hire you for a permanent position