• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

chances/average

DRX

Registered Users (C)
Its been my dream to move to new york and this year I'll finally graduate and be eligible to apply for the lottery but what are my chances of winning. What I mean is how many times should I expect to apply. If some people could tell me how many times they applied then I could try and get an average.

Last edited by a moderator:
HAHAHAH
Funny -

You can't just move to the US, no matter where you are from. Not even if you are Canadian.
UK citizens have to go through the same steps as anybody else.

Although you can just move there ILLEGALLY if you want - you might get your GC sooner too these days...

Chances of winning the lottery?
With about 8 million entries, and 50,000 GC's given out (which includes spouses and children) - that means that about 25,000 or less of the applicants win.

So, at most, 25,000/8,000,000 = 0.3%

That means 1 person out of 333 people gets a GC.

Picture yourself in a room with 333 people - they are taking out one name out of a hat. That's your chances.

so how many times do most people end up applying. Do many get it the first time in europe?

chances

Its been my dream to move to new york and this year I'll finally graduate and be eligible to apply for the lottery but what are my chances of winning. What I mean is how many times should I expect to apply. If some people could tell me how many times they applied then I could try and get an average.

winning visa lottery is simply a game of luck, like the name lottery, you cannot apply simple mathematics of mean and average, it is simple gambling, no statistics involved

so how many times do most people end up applying. Do many get it the first time in europe?

Dude,
you didnt have to wait to finish Uni to apply, you would qualify with a high school diploma or equivalent whichever country you're from. I applied from England, altho am not European but thats where I live. And with me I got my winners notification on the 2nd attempt. Alot of people would say that that was very lucky becoz they have attempted alot more times than that. Some even as many as 10.