Chance to interact with Mike Honda, Zoe Lofgren and others

Status
Not open for further replies.

kuldeepc

Registered Users (C)
Here is an email from the santa clara immiration group that i subscribe to. See if you folks can make it.

RSVP FOR MARCH 17-- THE NEW AMERICANS SNEAK PREVIEW

Please join Active Voice, SCC Supervisors Blanca Alvarado, Jim Beall, Don Gage, Liz Kniss, & Pete McHugh, Community Foundation Silicon Valley, Congresspersons Mike Honda and Zoe Lofgren, KQED, SCC Citizenship and Immigrant Programs, and United Way Silicon Valley for a light lunch and free sneak preview for a new documentary miniseries, The New Americans. Clips from the series will be followed by discussions with Indian Producer Indu Krishnan and local leaders.

Dear Friend,

You are cordially invited to a sneak preview of The New Americans, a seven-hour miniseries produced by the creators of Hoop Dreams. Premiering March 29-31, 2004 on PBS, the series focuses on the search for the American Dream through the eyes of today’s immigrants and refugees.

Filmed between 1998 and 2002, the series follows newcomers from Nigeria, India, the Dominican Republic, Mexico and the West Bank before they leave their homelands and into their first years in America.

You are invited to a preview of The New Americans on March 17. Banjara Indian Cuisine will serve a light lunch from 11:30-12pm. The program will begin at 12 sharp.

Preview of The New Americans

Presentation by Producer Indu Krishnan
Wednesday, March 17, 2004, 11:30am to 2pm

India Movie Center 6

1433 The Alameda in San Jose, CA

Please bring $5 to cover the cost of lunch. Tax-deductible donations are also welcome to defray costs. Make checks payable to “FHRC” (Friends of the Human Relations Commission).

Please RSVP to Milina at 408-792-2342 or Milina.Jovanovic@hrs.co.santa-clara.ca.us. We cannot reserve lunch for you unless you RSVP.

Sincerely,

Richard Hobbs, Esq., Director

Citizenship and Immigrant Programs

Originally posted by kuldeepc
RSVP FOR MARCH 17-- THE NEW AMERICANS SNEAK PREVIEW

Please join Active Voice, SCC Supervisors Blanca Alvarado, Jim Beall, Don Gage, Liz Kniss, & Pete McHugh, Community Foundation Silicon Valley, Congresspersons Mike Honda and Zoe Lofgren, KQED, SCC Citizenship and Immigrant Programs, and United Way Silicon Valley for a light lunch and free sneak preview for a new documentary miniseries, The New Americans. Clips from the series will be followed by discussions with Indian Producer Indu Krishnan and local leaders.
Hi, kuldeepc,
Thanks for your introducing such a great opportunity.
We can contact not only Congresspersons but also Media such KQED and some key persons of Santa Clara County.

This event was mentioned at 7th page of CSFC-CE02 030304.

Kuldeepc,

Thanks a lot for the info.

Do you know how much duration is this?

It is on a working day so that I can plan some thing.

Preview of The New Americans

Presentation by Producer Indu Krishnan
Wednesday, March 17, 2004, 11:30am to 2pm
India Movie Center 6
1433 The Alameda in San Jose, CA

Please bring $5 to cover the cost of lunch. Tax-deductible donations are also welcome to defray costs. Make checks payable to “FHRC” (Friends of the Human Relations Commission).
Please RSVP to Milina at 408-792-2342 or Milina.Jovanovic@hrs.co.santa-clara.ca.us. We cannot reserve lunch for you unless you RSVP.

I sent e-mail for myself yesterday.
kashmir
Originally posted by askgc
Kuldeepc,
Thanks a lot for the info.
Do you know how much duration is this?
It is on a working day so that I can plan some thing.

Kashmir, I sent an email for myself just now. 03.01 at 10.15am I wish to see you there at around 11.15 /1130am . Please let me know any change. Thanks

RSVPed for the event.

What is our plan of action for the event? I think Kashmir proposed a fax compaign to Honda and Zoe.

As kuldeepc is already talking to Honda and Zoe is good to have kuldeepc as the face of immigrationportal if he is willing to do?

kuldeepc please post your opinion.

i would love to be there but cannot guarantee as it depends on my calendar on that day. Kashmir and myself had initially worked together to contact Mike Honda's office.

I can give you some more details on the stuff I have done with Zoe Lofgren's office (the name of the staff memeber etc). You guys will be able to talk to her confidently.

I will confirm whether i can make it to the meeting or not, in a few days.

Contacting Producer indu

I am having a wild thought, that is, can we contact Producer Indu
Krishnan. If we can get Indu's support and if indu can talk a few
words about our situation, isnt it better.

I am not sure on how to contact him and will he be talking about
us, but may be worth a try.

INDU KRISHNAN

Her documentary film "Knowing Her Place" seems famous.
http://www.wmm.com/catalog/pages/c251.htm

http://www.toddshow.org/favorites/favorites_books.asp
Indu Krishnan is no ordinary documentarian. She is a South Asian female filmmaker-a rare combination-living every day as the ‘marginal man’ she so poignantly reveals in “Knowing Her Place”. It is a look into the life of another South Asian woman struggling to reconcile her two very different and distinct selves: independent, educated American and traditional, passive Indian. Krishan’s work gives a perspective on the immigrant experience many natives will never fully comprehend. “Knowing Her Place” can be found in libraries and online. Krishnan continues her work as part of PBS’ series “The New Americans”..

PBS: The New Americans
http://www.pbs.org/newamericans/
http://www.pbs.org/newamericans/1.0/1.04team.html
INDU KRISHNAN (Director)
Originally from India, Krishnan lives in New York where she has produced and directed numerous immigrant-themed works including Knowing Her Place, a documentary portrait of the dynamics between an Indian woman and three generations of her family living in the US and India. She has received grants and awards from the Rockefeller Foundation, Independent Television Services, National Endowment for the Arts, New York State Council on the Arts and the Women's Panel Paul Robeson Foundation.
Krishnan is currently working on A Stone in the Rice, a feature length documentary about a proscribed community of women artists in India. She received a Bachelors Degree at the University of Delhi and a Masters Degree in Media Studies at the New School For Social Research.

Re: Contacting Producer indu

askgc,

Its a very good idea.
As per Kashmir's info, seems her interests is immigrant woman struggles and related problems.

Even I-485 backlogs are causing problems to a lot of women folks. Most of the house wifes even though they are educated and might have worked in thier home countires are unable to have a financial freedom here in USA just because they dont have permit to work. And for them Green Card is the only answer and bright spot . Delays in Green Card processing means and end to their future.

I think based on this fact we can ask her to talk about these delays.

Lets draft a letter addressing her. I'll try to post one before the end of the day. But if some one can do it and post it early thats great.

I have sent a mail (few days back) saying that I am
interested in attending, please reserve giving my
name, if you need any further info contact me.

Is that it? I am not 100% sure, but 98% I will come
there as we have a customer release this month end.

Please read - Update

Looks like Zoe Lfogren will not make it to the event. Seems like they have votes in Washington D.C and she does not miss.

Given this information, I am not sure if Mike Honda will attend this either.

Please confirm with the contact person on my original posting before you go there. I do not want anyone wasting time.

Re: Please read - Update

Originally posted by kuldeepc
Looks like Zoe Lfogren will not make it to the event. Seems like they have votes in Washington D.C and she does not miss.

Given this information, I am not sure if Mike Honda will attend this either.

Please confirm with the contact person on my original posting before you go there. I do not want anyone wasting time.

Thanks for the info Kuldeepc, I sent an email but have not received any reply. will post here if I get any.

Status
Not open for further replies.