CGI-NY Tracker

OCI - update

On website it says Granted for me.

Below is timeline

Mailed April 8th
Under process May 23rd
Granted May 29th

Picked up OCI

Went to the consulate yesterday (they are open on Memorial Day). Picked up my OCI Card & had the sticker put in my PP.

The picture was sightly larger than the box since I just trimmed it to approx. 3.5 x 3.5 cm. They have my occupation & place of work in the OCI certificate (a small PP booklet with ligher Blue color).

I just lost my $15.00 for postage.

BTW: You do not need a token to get your OCI. Just go to Window 7 and give a copy of the online status & your PP. They would return it in about an hour or so.

Good luck everyone CGINY is getting efficient look like???

Delay in OCI

I submitted my OCI application to the Indian Embassy in NY on March 6th by mail and the application was received by the embassy on March 13th. However the status currently shows as "Application Number is not yet acknowledged". Its almost 3 months since I applied. Are there any one who applied around this time and are in the same status. Could there be some problem with my application. How does the consulate intimiate if there are any issues with the photos or submitted document. Will they respond if I go in person?

Photo for OCI

Can anyone please suggest a photo studio in NH/MA area for OCI applications? I have wasted lot of time and money on this.

Thanks a lot.

OCI card recvd by CGINY

We applied at the end of March. Cards were recvd in NY last week. Baed on the comments, I guess best is to go and collect the cards and pp stamped in NY.

For those looking for photos..I just used my Digital camera and got pictures to print on pp size using CVS Photomaker for the family. I trimmed it to size and it worked fine for me>
:)

spouse last name in oci application form?

Hi ...

am applying OCI for my child at NY ...want to make sure if i can mention my last name for my wife ??? or do i have to use her maiden name only????
currenlty my wife has her own last name in her passport...

if i keep my last name for my wife..will it create any problem??

Thanks in advance..

Notarized documents?

Hi All,

I am planning to apply for OCI for my daughter. I see in http://www.indiacgny.org that they ask us to send notarized copies of passport and other documents. Have you guys sent notarized copies? If so, where do you recommend getting notarized? (From my experience, it is hard to get notaries to notarize document without you signing on them)

Thanks

nandy02 said:
Hi All,

I am planning to apply for OCI for my daughter. I see in http://www.indiacgny.org that they ask us to send notarized copies of passport and other documents. Have you guys sent notarized copies? If so, where do you recommend getting notarized? (From my experience, it is hard to get notaries to notarize document without you signing on them)

Thanks
Thats how notary work. You got to sign in his/her presence stating the document is a true copy of the roiginal. The notary simply attests the fact that you have stated the document to be the true copy of the original.

Thanks mpotturi.

I have another question. My 2 year old daughter can't sign yet. Do you know if the consulate expects the parent's signature in the signature box in this case?

Thanks in advance

Do not sign in the box for minor kids

Do not sign for any minor kids in the box. Either you leave it blank or kid's thumb impression. Hope this helps. All the best. Ny site does not have clear details, also vist Chicago, Houston sites to understand the complete requirements.

sv-For under 16's PIO to OCI conversion makes financial sense vis a vis 6 month visa and OCI in pvarma's case.

In fact people with a minor kid should NOT apply for a kid's OCI at all.They should initally get a PIO card then after a couple of years (barring any change in the law) convert it to an OCI.Saves about $100 a head.

Thanks mangal and RKN for your tips. I am going to apply for PIO for my daughter. I didn't bother checking PIO card cost, but after reading your response, it definately makes sense to get the PIO first for minors

Time for NY Consulate to return passport for approved OCI

My application for OCI was approved, Does anybody know how long does consulate take to return the passport with stamp. I am debating if I should personally go or mail the passport to them. I have already paid $15

desikuda said:
My application for OCI was approved, Does anybody know how long does consulate take to return the passport with stamp. I am debating if I should personally go or mail the passport to them. I have already paid $15
If you are in drivable distance from the consulate and able to take time off then I recommend a personal visit even though you have already paid $15. The peace of mind you will have surely weighs far more than $15. Just make sure your U visa sticker and OCI card did reach the consolate before making a trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just Mailed in my OIC Application

I finally got around to getting all my documents and just dropped my application in the Mail : UPS Ground. It should reach the NY consulate tomorrow.

I have also send in my Indian passport for cancellation in the same package.

OCI timeline

I submitted my application in April, got acknowledgement in May and it has been "under process" since May 18. It is now August. Anyone else have problems like this? Got any suggestions as to how I can find out what's up?

Received passports today

My OCI was granted, I mail my passport on Saturday August 5th, Received by consulate on 6th(Yes Sunday). Got my passports back today along with OCI.

Very efficient. India is great!!!

If India is so great, why are they delaying my application. I sent it in May and they took my money and offer no way of finding out what the problem is.