Certificate of Naturalization Documents Missing

Hi, I was naturalized on Dec. 19th. Applied for a passport on Dec. 22. I just received my passport but my original documents were not sent back to me. I called the LA passport office and they said "sometimes" the documents are sent separately. Has anyone had this experience? 2 years ago we reapplied for our kids passports and their birth certificates were also lost. It cost $60 and 4 months to get the replacements.

Original certificates of naturalization are often sent separately; please wait a few days before panicking!

Yes, don't panic yet, enjoy the holidays, this is normal, it might take up to a couple of weeks or more to get those documents back, but they usually don't lose them.

I would wait a couple of days.- Another question, have you noticed any change in your mail patterns ? Have they changed your mail person ?

Just think about it.- We know waiting sometimes is not easy.-

Thank you for the replies. It would be nice if they had included a letter with the passport saying the documents were being sent back separately. I'll wait it out and hopefully they will arrive soon.

I applied for the passport in Orange County CA and it was processed in Los Angeles. The more I think about it, I really don't get why they would not return the documents with the passport. There's no need for them to hold the documents once the passport was issued.

Received the original documents today by regular mail. With the documents they did include a info sheet saying that the passport and documents may ship separately. I guess they just forgot to include the same sheet with my passport. Thank you all for the replies!

I'm glad you got the documents back, that's what I was expecting. Thanks for letting us know. Now, to answer your earlier question, (and that is just my guess, kind of educated through some articles I read long time back) I think they send passport and documents separately because they might handle things at different places. I think they now have a mega facility to process passports. I am just guessing that they process the documents at a passport office and send the information electronically to the passport production factory. Instead of waiting for the passport to come back to the office, match it with the documents and send everything together they prefer to send things separately so you receive the passport sooner. Perhaps they should spell out this more clearly to avoid causing anxiety to people.

I'm glad you got the documents back, that's what I was expecting. Thanks for letting us know. Now, to answer your earlier question, (and that is just my guess, kind of educated through some articles I read long time back) I think they send passport and documents separately because they might handle things at different places. I think they now have a mega facility to process passports. I am just guessing that they process the documents at a passport office and send the information electronically to the passport production factory. Instead of waiting for the passport to come back to the office, match it with the documents and send everything together they prefer to send things separately so you receive the passport sooner. Perhaps they should spell out this more clearly to avoid causing anxiety to people.

After the computer chips are inserted into the back cover of the passports in Europe, the blank covers are shipped to a factory in Ayutthaya, Thailand, north of Bangkok, to be fitted with a wire Radio Frequency Identification, or RFID, antenna. The blank passports eventually are transported to Washington for final binding, according to the documents and interviews.

http://www.boingboing.net/2008/10/23/new-us-rfid-passport.html

The United States has outsourced the manufacturing of its electronic passports to overseas companies — including one in Thailand that was victimized by Chinese espionage — raising concerns that cost savings are being put ahead of national security, an investigation by The Washington Times has found.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2008/mar/26/outsourced-passports-netting-govt-profit-56284974/

This is our way of helping the american economy and our american workers, and by that I mean everyone of us who can use the extra cash and work even if you come from Mars or your great-great-grandparents were born in Michigan.

Once upon a time there was a dream... it was the United States of America...... but this dream seems to be fading .... leaving the stench of greed behind.....

Last edited by a moderator:
$7.97 passports being sold for $75 - that's a good profit. I do not see the security breaches here. Passports just a peice of paper, the real data is stored in a computer. A person needs to have it fixed to gain entry,

While it probably won't be possible to modify the passport database at the Department of State, the unique identifier embedded in the chip is already know to persons/companies/countries outside of the US. What makes the above scary is the ease of reproducing the RFID chip with the same identifier. Therefore counterfeiting passports with new identities may not be possible but someone duplicating someone else's passport would not be hindered by a RFID chip.

It has been already 5 days that we got our passport my my cert of naturalization has not come yet. What is the normal waiting time? in the case it got lost, how can I get a copy of it>
thanks!!

It has been already 5 days that we got our passport my my cert of naturalization has not come yet. What is the normal waiting time? in the case it got lost, how can I get a copy of it>
thanks!!

This always happens.... wait a few days more..... and you will see yor certificate come in a big yellow envelope.

Need advice: Name Misspelled in Naturalization Certificate as well as name change petition

I changed my name aloing with naturalization. Unfortunately USCIS misspelled my name on both name change petition as well as Naturalization Certificate. I did not notice the mistate until after I left the court. Please advice on how to get the name corrected. This September I am planning to go to India. Your help is greatly appreciated. Should I approach the court or filing N565 will be my best option to get them changed. Thanks

You were supposed to back up your precious documents first. System restore is supposed to erase them. The restore you did before probably went back to a restore point. This time it sounds like you completely restored it to when it was brand new.