• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

CEAC data update

Thanks for info re. I-9.
Re. address; at interview I gave address of a close relative in the midwest. However I am not going out there. I'm going to NYC, as I feel there might be better work opportunities there.
Well, then your one and only chance to change the mailing address for your Green Card is during Activation, when entering the US. Re-confirm with the Officer that your new address has been correctly registered in their system. You will need a proper home address as mentioned above, with your name on the mail box. Of course you will need to ensure that the Green Card will get in your possession without fail upon its arrival by mail.

Please be aware that as a Permanent Resident you will have to register any address changes with USCIS. Lastly, if you haven't seen this, you might find the following document of help:
http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/nativedocuments/M-618.pdf

Thanks for that reply Euro.
So you mean to say I wont have a ss number for those first few weeks? How can employers take me seriously when I tell them I don't have a ss number (yet)?
Also, I will be staying at hostels/hotels at first. What address can I give them to send my ss card to?
Thanks.
SS usually comes pretty quickly, ours took just over a week after entry. It will get sent to the same address you put for your green card. Have your relative courier it to you.

SS usually comes pretty quickly, ours took just over a week after entry. It will get sent to the same address you put for your green card. Have your relative courier it to you.
Oh, that's the key piece of information I was looking for Susie. Here is roughly what I hope will happen.
I arrive in NYC later this week. I start looking for employment and a place to stay. After approx 10 days, my relative in Chicago receives my greencard and ss card. Then he couriers them to me at the apartment I will have found in NYC.
Am I making any incorrect assumptions?/Am I missing anything in all of this?
Will the staff at SS office in NYC where I go to get a ss card have a record of the Chicago address? Will it be on the system for them? The ss card just automatically goes to the address I gave in DS260?
Thank you

Oh, that's the key piece of information I was looking for Susie. Here is roughly what I hope will happen.
I arrive in NYC later this week. I start looking for employment and a place to stay. After approx 10 days, my relative in Chicago receives my greencard and ss card. Then he couriers them to me at the apartment I will have found in NYC.
Will the staff at SS office in NYC where I go to get a ss card have a record of the Chicago address? Will it be on the system for them? The ss card just automatically goes to the address I gave in DS260?
Thank you

The green card takes longer, usually around a month. But yes re the address etc.

Thank you
Annanz, Let us know when you/your relative will first receive the social security card and green card by mail. Certainly will be interesting. Good luck in NYC!

You are welcome. Here is hoping that SSN card and Green Card arrival times will be noticeably shorter than has been the case for our family last year. Both documents were required for renewing driver licenses and the whole process took approx. 2 months for our daughter who did not have her SSN yet and needed a learner's permit...

Last edited:
hi Guys,
Just a quick 2 questions if I may.
1. All I need to hand over at Immigration is the brown sealed envelope given to me at interview plus the xrays which are on a cd?
2. Will all of this happen in Dublin or JFK?
Thank You

hi Guys,
Just a quick 2 questions if I may.
1. All I need to hand over at Immigration is the brown sealed envelope given to me at interview plus the xrays which are on a cd?
2. Will all of this happen in Dublin or JFK?
Thank You
You don't need to hand over the X-rays, just the brown envelope (and your passport with visa).
I believe Dublin is one of the airports with US immigration processed before boarding so it would be there if that is indeed the case.

Thats great Susie. Do you know why they asked me to carry xrays in hand luggage?

They always do...I've never heard of anyone actually handing them to do the border guys but we still took ours just in case (the CBP guy said to us 'keep those for your doctor'). So yeh they don't take up space so you may want to put them in your hand luggage also 'just in case', and do let us know if they actually take yours :)

Thanks for that information Susie. Soorry now to be a pest with one more little question. If the ss card is going to be automatically sent to address given, is there any need for me to go to a ss office in NYC?

Thanks for that information Susie. Soorry now to be a pest with one more little question. If the ss card is going to be automatically sent to address given, is there any need for me to go to a ss office in NYC?

No. Some people like to do it to ensure there are no glitches (which do happen to some people). We never did that though.

Also, you're not a pest, the forum is here for asking questions!!!

Guys, I would like to convert my driving license to a NYC one. I think Simon may have something on his blog on this but I cant seem to locate it. Could anyone point me there?
Thank you

Guys, I would like to convert my driving license to a NYC one. I think Simon may have something on his blog on this but I cant seem to locate it. Could anyone point me there?
Thank you

From out of state or from your home country? Each state has its own laws about this. For most states you need to take another driving test if it's a license from another country, check the NY DMV page for info.

From Home country Suzie. Ill pop onto the dmv website and take a look. A dmv office is just round the corner from where im staying right now, so I might pop in there in morning as well.

From Home country Suzie. Ill pop onto the dmv website and take a look. A dmv office is just round the corner from where im staying right now, so I might pop in there in morning as well.

Yeah - that varies by state... I think that is all I said about that on the blog.

I'm not sure one ever just "pops in" to the DMV but you may get lucky :)

Some info/ links

If you become a New York State resident, you must get a New York State driver license within 30 days. If you have a valid driver license issued by another U.S. state or territory, federal district or Canadian province, you may be eligible to exchange it for a New York driver license.
If your license was issued outside the U.S. or Canada, you must apply for a new original NYS driver license at a DMV office.
http://dmv.ny.gov/driver-license/drive-new-york-state

Hi Guys.
I entered USA on Oct 17th. I have not gone to a SS office about getting a SS card. I understand that I need to do nothing, just wait till the SS card is sent to the address given on the DS260. Today is Nov' 5th. Should the SS Card not have been sent out by now?
Thanks.