Case transferred

mmm33

Registered Users (C)
My case was transferred to BUFFALO, NY today for them to schedule an interview. Does anyone have any experience with the Buffalo district office as regards interviews? Any idea how long it takes for them to schedule an interview. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

RD: 11/19/01
ND: 12/10/01
RFE: 6/16/03
RFE reply: 7/1/03
TD: 7/18/03

The RFE asked for employment letter and tax returns for the last two years and the $1000 fee. Mine is an EB-1 application. I responded and paid the fee and then the online message changed a couple of times and on July 18 it said that my application was transferred to Buffalo, NY for them to schedule and conduct my interview. After waiting for 20 months I got to wait god knows how much longer.

RD: 11/19/01
ND: 12/10/01
RFE: 6/16/03
RFE response: 7/1/03
TD: 7/18/03

Can one use 'Premium Processing Service' for RFE's generated against I485 applications also.

-sai

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe any time if one go out of status during 485 process then you have to pay 1000.00 fine I guess.

Originally posted by manumahi
I believe any time if one go out of status during 485 process then you have to pay 1000.00 fine I guess.

One can never be out of status after filing 485 till the 485 is denied.

manumahi might be right. Could mmm3 please confirm, as to why that fee was paid. The 6 year limit might be reached or the EAD might have expired.

-sai

They asked me to pay $1000 penalty fee because they considered I had been out of status and since my I-140 application was filed on April 20, 2001 I benefited from the provisions of 245(i). Hope that answers your question about the fee.
Thans guys.

Mmm3

It is very difficult to go out of status after filing 485 ... I dont know of a way to achieve this ! You were probably out of status "BEFORE" filing 485 and thats why you had to pay $1K
and "Maybe" thats why you got transfered to Buffalo. If you could describe your Past Immigration history (competely ) then we will know better...

And also since you are EB1 ... I have heard that most EB1 cases are transfered to local offices.

who knows how long for buffalo interview?

It looks like very few been transfered to Buffalo, that's why nobody knows how long it takes? on the other hand, i guess it may not take long as no people waiting there :)

To answer the question posed by "eternity," yes, I was out of status BEFORE filing the I-485 application but for less than 180 days according to my estimate. However, I accepted the fact and paid the penalty. This is not the issue, though. After responding to the BCIS request and paying the penalty fee I expected them to approve my application but instead they transferred my case to Buffalo after 20 months. Now, isn't that typical?

If you can prove that you were out of status for less than 180 days, BCIS should approve your case using 245(k) instead of 245(i) and you do not have to pay $1000.

---Compaqdb:)

answer to your question

My case:

VSC transfered case to NYC by mistake. After requests, file was transfered from NYC to Buffalo. Between the date the file actually arrived in Buffalo and the time they issued me a receipt took one month.

After four months from effective transfer date, and three months after issue of receipt date, I did not get any interview date. The name security check is the probable cause.

On the receipt, they tell you not to call within 9 months after receiving the receipt notice. Some people claim an interview date 4 months after transfer. God knows...

IBIS check only lasts 5-10 minutes (I've seen it performed). Name security check , however, lasts, according to previously posted messages, maximum 120 days. You'll be able to get AP within two weeks, if applying in person.

Good luck and let me know if and when you get interview date. I hope this helps.

rav8tor
Thanks very much for sharing your experience. I thought that Buffalo would schedule the interview sooner, but another agonizing wait appears to be the only result of the transfer.
I will certainly update you on whatever changes occur in my case.
Thanks again.