Case Status Enquiry

devdas

Registered Users (C)
Gurus,
I called customer service center last week and asked about the status of my I-485. Following is the response I got after 2 days from USCIS.

"Based on your request we researched the status of this case. Your case
remains pending until a visa is available for these applications.
Please check the Dept of State Visa bulletin for visa availability from your
country of birth."

What does this mean? That they processed my case and waiting for Visa numbers to approve?
Does this mean FBI Background check etc ... are all done?

Experts please clarify on this.

Devdas.

devdas said:
Gurus,
I called customer service center last week and asked about the status of my I-485. Following is the response I got after 2 days from USCIS.

"Based on your request we researched the status of this case. Your case
remains pending until a visa is available for these applications.
Please check the Dept of State Visa bulletin for visa availability from your
country of birth."

What does this mean? That they processed my case and waiting for Visa numbers to approve?
Does this mean FBI Background check etc ... are all done?

Experts please clarify on this.

Devdas.
I am no expert but I don't believe this reply has any meaning other than the most generic answer that they can find.

Everybody whose case are retrogressed get this message.

Means nothing more than what it says (that you are retrogressed and tough luck)

It does not come close to saying anything else about your namecheck/other processing etc etc.

As wildthing mentioned, this is a standard reply that they send to retrogressed cases (which makes it all the more useless to start an inquiry when you are retrogressed).

I understand my case has been retrogressed and it would be a while to see the end of the tunnel. But, as stated in my previous posting is there anyway to find out my background check and the namecheck has been completed and they are waiting for the visa numbers to approve my case?

devdas said:
I understand my case has been retrogressed and it would be a while to see the end of the tunnel. But, as stated in my previous posting is there anyway to find out my background check and the namecheck has been completed and they are waiting for the visa numbers to approve my case?
believe me, if I knew such a way, I would have told you and have tried it myself.

I had contacted FBI long time ago. No response after nearly a year.

Even congressman's office refused to inquire on my behalf because the case is retrogressed. I don't understand this part other than the lady there is simply lazy.

You might have better luck with your own congressman.

Devdas,
I don't know what State you are from but if you are from Michigan Senator Carl Levin is extremely helpful. His office inquired on my behalf and found out that my name was cleared by FBI and they are just waiting for Visa numbers. So try contacting both Senators and any congressman in your State.
Hope this helps.

Wildthing/Renusun,

Thanks a lot!!
I live in Iowa. I will contact State Senators/Congressman and update if I get any feedback.

Good Luck to all of us!!

I-485
PD: Aug 2002
RD: Mar 2003

renusun said:
Devdas,
I don't know what State you are from but if you are from Michigan Senator Carl Levin is extremely helpful. His office inquired on my behalf and found out that my name was cleared by FBI and they are just waiting for Visa numbers. So try contacting both Senators and any congressman in your State.
Hope this helps.

Renusun,

How did u request Senator and how long it took to get rply from FBI? Could you pl. let us know the procedure you have followed

GS05

In October when I was expecting my case to show some movement and it din't, I was very frustrated and decided to write to both the Senators in Michigan. I went to their respective web sites and wrote a short summary in the Contact the Senator box (It is limited by space). However I also drafted a long letter explaining my situation and how NSC did not even resppond to my inquiries and how NSC had screwed up by posting my RFE TO the wrong address because of wich I missed the deadline prior to retrogression. I then faxed as well as mailed this letter to their offices.
After 1 week some one from one of the Senators' office contacted me by letter and sent me a form of authorization to authorize their office to inquire on my behalf. Once I faxed that, it took about three weeks to hear back from The Senator's office. They mailed to me all the response they had received from NSC. I DON'T KNOW HOW LONG IT TOOK FOR them to get a response from NSC. Probably not very long.
The response said that my case had been processed and was awaiting availability of visa number. Without that they could not approve my case. It also said that FBI clearance had also been obatined on my case. So the Senator wrote to me stating how he could not do any thing further as it was illegal to approve a case without a VISA number available! Whatever that means in relevance to NSC!!
Anyway I was very thankful at the promptness with which his office helped me. This was not true with the other Senator though. They never responded back to me. Hope this helps. Good luck to all of us.

EB3/INDIA
PD 12/2001
RD 03/2003