Case status changed to state A# changed. What does it mean?

dhlunar

Registered Users (C)
I received emails this morning (on a Saturday), one for each case, with a case status update for both of my wife's parents I-130 that were filed in June 2013 and transferred from NBC to Nebraska in December 2013. The objective is to do consular processing. The current status for both cases is still in initial review, but changed to:

On March 8, 2014, your Alien Registration Number was changed relating to your I130, IMMIGRANT PETITION FOR RELATIVE, FIANCE(E), OR ORPHAN.

What does that status mean? Could it mean that the petitions are about to be approved, because doesn't make sense to issue a A# if the petition would be denied. Also, my wife's parents never had a Alien Registration Number before so how could the number be changed?

Well I just got the answer to my own question. The case status for both cases was updated this morning (Monday, March 10) to post-decision status that a notice regarding the approval of the I-130 has been mailed.

I suspect, although I can't tell till we get the approval notices, the cases were approved late last week and A# were generated on Friday night. I wonder if that is what the your Alien Registration Number changed means.

Update:

We got the approval notices a couple of days ago in the mail. The updated Alien Registration Number on the approval notices was my wife's number that she had when she was a permanent resident. However, since she is now a citizen we didn't think the number was relevant or applied anymore so she didn't put it down on the I-130 when she applied for her parents back in June 2013. My wife submitted a copy of her naturalization certificate with each I-130 which might be where they got her number from.