Case number for Advisory opinion?

mihirsm

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I was wondering about the application process for advisory opinion.

Do I have to have a case number before seeking the advisory opinion? Or just writing an explanatory letter is enough?

Any pointers would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mihir.

Hi,

I was wondering about the application process for advisory opinion.

Do I have to have a case number before seeking the advisory opinion? Or just writing an explanatory letter is enough?

Any pointers would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mihir.

When you apply electronically with the DOS, a number will be generated immediately to you. Exactlly like application for waiver but you select advisory opinion and answer questions as usual. The soft ware will direct you and as you may know it is free. It will be posted on the web site to see the update. If you are subject and apply for waiver later, the same number will be the same.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I have actually sent a letter to the DoS alongwith supporting documents asking for their advisory opinion. I havent done anything electronically. Is this okay? Or will I have to apply electronically, get a case number and resend everything?

Thanks,
Mihir.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I have actually sent a letter to the DoS alongwith supporting documents asking for their advisory opinion. I havent done anything electronically. Is this okay? Or will I have to apply electronically, get a case number and resend everything?

Thanks,
Mihir.

This answer is not 100% sure. I don,t think what you did is right. I did exactly as I told you because my waiver was pending for few months. I tried to know if I may be not subject. After 4 days, they decide that I am sbuject. few months later they forwarded the Favorable recommendation to the USCIS and still pending there for almost four months. (6 months in DOS and 4+? months with USCIS). My advice that you can apply again electronically, it takes 5 minutes and send the documents in the order which will show up in your electronic receipt. Meanwhile you can prepare for the waiver at the same time. Please if your letter work just update us for others reading this forum.Good luck.

Just FYI,

So, I had a chance to talk to the State Gov regarding my advisory opinion. And it seems having a case number is not mandatory while applying for advisory opinion.

To the best of my knowledge either you get the case number by applying online or they assign it to you upon receiving your application. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Today is March 13. The waiver dept. recd out package on Feb 22 (I know this through the Fed-ex tracker). Havent recd any case number or any other information from them yet,

:(