Case not approved during interview because officer did not receive A files

sshen

Registered Users (C)
My case, the very old Feb. 2002 case, got tranferred to San Francisco office 4 months ago. I got interview today, but the officer said she didn't receive my A-files. She just received my T-files so that she couldn't approve it. She said she would approve it before, the new law require that all files for the applicant should be put together for adjudicate. My A-files could be in service center or VSC or lost. She will check. As far as how long it will take, she did not tell. I asked my attoney's experience. The attoney said no one know why, and no one know how long it will take. It may take several months or several years. Any one in the same boat? Thanks

can you provide details

inerview letter recd date:
i-485 recept date
date xfer to sfo
and intervew date

to allow us to estiamte how long the transfers are taking and if there is any trend or its just uscis random treatment

Me too..

Looks like I'm in the same boat .. you're one step ahead of me. I'm Feb 2002 filer. Local (SFO) office recd. my file but they waiting for another (??) file even to call me for an interview. I've been waiting for years now.. Seems like nothing is happening & they don't even tell approx date .. or even what can be done to make it faster.. I contacted congressman , senater, sent faxes.. nothing seems to be working.. Post it here if you get any more updates..BTW what did they ask you in interview?

Thanks
Koolkat

Case not approved in the interview

I had the Interview on 2/28/05 in SFO office. Officer was very nice took all the documents requested in the Interview letter. Said we are all set and asked if I have the proof of penalaty payment letter. I am 245 (i) case and I paid the penalty of $ 1000.00.

I did not have it, but sent it by certified mail the same day. It is close to two weeks, no reply from the SFO office. I made a phone call to see if they received it and there is no proper reply.

God only Knows what happended to my case.

PD Jan 14, 1998.
Transfer Date: June 22, 2004
Interview date: 2/28/05

Did any body got struck like me? I did not go to my home country for the past 14 years.

I am sick and tired of this process. Do I have a choice? I just don't think about the immigration process at all. God only can show mercy and move the papers.

T-file

SFO 485
Temporary file. A temporary file is created when an applicant’s A-file cannot
be found after, at minimum, a diligent 90-day search of all INS locations. A
T-file is used if the permanent file is missing or temporarily if the A-file is
located at another INS service location.

Best of luck to you....
Dil

sfo485 said:
Sshen,

can you tell what's A-file and T-file?

Thx

Do you know any rule about Number of days to approve after interview

Do any body know how many days it takes to get approval or denial letter after the interview.

Officer did not say anything about the date when a decision would be made.

Any body has any idea?

Letter from my attoney:

I received a telephone call from the USCIS regarding the status of your case. She informed me that the California Service Center has searched its files and has reported that your A-file cannot be found; the next step is to do a national search, which will take approximately 90 to 120 days to complete. If the file is not found in the national search, she will have a supervisor authorize her to approve your case. These are the mandatory procedures she must follow.

sshen,
Thanks for sharing this information. In my case, my T-File has been misplaced. I havn't got even an interview. By help of Cogresssman I could find out that my file is stuck in SFO office, which evetually has been moved to San Jose Office.
I don't know what (when) will be next step. But it seems like taking too long for unknown reason.

Frustrating

Koolkat
WAC-02-119-#####

SShen,
Usually A-file is created and A# is assigned after I-485 is submitted. Did you apply for I-485 based on your first I-140 (5 years ago)? Was A# assigned to your first I-140?
Your story made people who have multiple I-140s nervous.

I didn't apply I485 on my first I-140. I left that company before that I-140 got approved. I don't know if I got A# number or not that time. I don't think multiple I-140 made the difference. I'd rather believe that one nasty officer just trashed them.

The SFO office failed to find my A-files after 4 months national search. The district director approved it on 9/15/2005 after reviewing it. I got the passport stamped already.

Congrats !!

Congratulation !!!
How did you trigger national search? I'm still waiting for something to happen on my case.

Thanks
-Koolkat
WAC-02-119-#####

My attoney asked the SFO office that what was the process if the A-files were missing on March this year. They told him:
1. local search (in CSC), it will take around 2 month.
2. National searc, it will take around 4 months.

If all failed, the director will make the decision next.

In my case, the director approved it.

You need to ask you attoney to push SFO.
Good luck

koolkat said:
Congratulation !!!
How did you trigger national search? I'm still waiting for something to happen on my case.

Thanks
-Koolkat
WAC-02-119-#####

Case status changed - What did it mean?

My case status got changed today. What did it mean? Is it for the physical card? or the CSC denied the approval by the SFO officer (I got passport stamped last week)?
----------------------------------
Application Type: I485 , Application to Register Permanent Residence or
to Adjust Status

Current Status:

On September 29, 2005, your I485 Application to Register Permanent
Residence or to Adjust Status was received here for processing. It is
taking between 270 and 300 days for us to process this kind of case. We will
mail you a decision as soon as processing is complete.

If you have questions or concerns about your application or the case
status results listed above, or if you have not received a decision or
advice from USCIS within the projected processing time frame*, please
contact the National Customer Service Center.

National Customer Service Center (800) 375-5283.

*The projected processing time frame can be found on the receipt notice
that you received from the USCIS.
*** Please do not respond to this e-mail message.

Sincerely,

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)