carrying GC

BillG_6006 said:
FOR AN INDIAN "Pakistani Friend" is an Oxymoron ;)

In many ways many of them are better friends than many desi people I met in my life. Nationality does not make better friend. Not sure what category I will put you if I ever meet you personally at all.

ma21 said:
Well, u miss the point. In the case of speeding tickets, the cops have a probable cause and also proof that you have broken the law. So, I dont agree with the anology. Take the example at the US border or for that matter: Can the INS inspector ask for proof selectively?

Well, we are in fact not talking about just "border" or "INS officer". The question was related to "law enforcement officer". Probably you missed the point. For example, two persons involved in accident. Can the cop ask for citizenship status to one person and not asking other one? Yes, he can. By law, there is no requirement that he has to ask both. However, every law enforcement agency has own guideline - and for many law enforcement egencies asking for citizenship is not part of their guideline. But that does not mean that they cannot ask.

ma21 said:
Also, the inspections at the air-port are not random at all. They are based on a program, I believe TSA calls it "Secure Flight" which is used to determine who gets checked more and others.

Check-in checks are "random" by law and it has nothing to do with "secure flight". In fact, before searching, officer will tell you "you have been selected ramdomly".

qwertyisback said:
I think somebody is very determined to get "Resident Bulley" tag. Treat such fellow like toilet paper "Use it and throw it". :D :D

Hmmmm. It's interesting! I thought I wanted to be "qwertyisback" - posting only useless messages. Am I not doing so????

JoeF said:
Ah, the beauty of selective quoting ;)
Actually, the law says that you have to carry it with you and in your personal possession at all times.
INA 264(e):
"(e) Every alien, eighteen years of age and over, shall at all times carry with him and have in his personal possession any certificate of alien registration or alien registration receipt card issued to him pursuant to subsection (d). Any alien who fails to comply with the provisions of this subsection shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall upon conviction for each offense be fined not to exceed $100 or be imprisoned not more than thirty days, or both."

ahhhh yessss the beauty of selective quoting....or in Joes case selective interpretation...

notice his ridiculous interpretation of the law as it relates to the green card....but the law quite clearly states

"any certificate of alien registration or alien registration receipt card issued to him"

yet Joe states

JoeF said:
The I-94 was stapled in my passport, and I didn't want to carry the passport around. Besides, that was what lawyers recommended.

So it sounds like your lawyer advised you to break the law and you gladly complied. tsk tsk tsk

Also, I wonder why don't emphasize everyone to carry their 1-94's off their notice of action.

But you do know why don't you....because you are inconsistent in your very narrow and incorrect interpretation of the law.

People I think the bottom line here is that it's up to you whatever you think is best. My wife keeps her precious gc right next to both of our passports all secure inside a lockbox safely hidden tucked away in a place we can get to quickly in case of an emergency.

The main thing is never to lose it and always have it available in case you need it.

Also on that question about ID cards. The only legally valid forms of ID have four features:

1 a current photo
2 legal name and vital stats
3 non expired or issue date no more then 10 years ago
4 signature

your current driver's license and current passport have all of these elements

a gc does not have a signature on it, therefore it is not a valid form of ID

pralay said:
Well, we are in fact not talking about just "border" or "INS officer". The question was related to "law enforcement officer". Probably you missed the point. For example, two persons involved in accident. Can the cop ask for citizenship status to one person and not asking other one? Yes, he can. By law, there is no requirement that he has to ask both. However, every law enforcement agency has own guideline - and for many law enforcement egencies asking for citizenship is not part of their guideline. But that does not mean that they cannot ask.
I guess I did miss the point, I believe that would be discrimination if the cop does not have a reasonable and legal basis for asking one person his residency statys and the other one not.Correct me,if I am wrong, the same quandry is faced by employers who need to verify I-9. They cannot go selectively. They have to ask every employee. And I do believe companies that selectively check employment eligibility did get sued for discrimination. I could be completely wrong in this (my basis is that that any law which results in discrimination is illegal). If I am, my aplogies to the members of this board.

pralay said:
Check-in checks are "random" by law and it has nothing to do with "secure flight". In fact, before searching, officer will tell you "you have been selected ramdomly".
Check out http://www.globalsecurity.org/security/systems/cappsii.htm

pralay said:
In many ways many of them are better friends than many desi people I met in my life. Nationality does not make better friend. Not sure what category I will put you if I ever meet you personally at all.
Tell that to the families of Indian Soldiers who are dying everyday in Kashmir. Its because of people like you that we are always under the threat of terrorisms from your "friends"

bb_5555 said:
People I think the bottom line here is that it's up to you whatever you think is best. My wife keeps her precious gc right next to both of our passports all secure inside a lockbox safely hidden tucked away in a place we can get to quickly in case of an emergency.

The main thing is never to lose it and always have it available in case you need it.

Also on that question about ID cards. The only legally valid forms of ID have four features:

1 a current photo
4 signature

Well new greencards do have signature on the back (holograph :under your pic)

BillG_6006 said:
Tell that to the families of Indian Soldiers who are dying everyday in Kashmir. Its because of people like you that we are always under the threat of terrorisms from your "friends"

Fundamentalists and extremists do exists in both countries...in fact, in ALL countries including USA. Why do I have to tell them? They didn't make decision to fund terrorism in Kashmir - just like you did not make decisions when some extremists killed thousands Indian muslim or sikh citizens.

ma21 said:
Correct me,if I am wrong, the same quandry is faced by employers who need to verify I-9. They cannot go selectively. They have to ask every employee. And I do believe companies that selectively check employment eligibility did get sued for discrimination. I could be completely wrong in this (my basis is that that any law which results in discrimination is illegal).

I agree. But in many instance it's difficult to prove the discrimination. Even those NYPD cases did not go far. On the other hand, employment, apartment renting cases are different where most of the states have very strict guideline and laws. But for immigration status issue with law enforcement, there is no such thing.

ma21 said:

I think there is a confusion and that's probably because I used the wrong word. In CAPPS person is identified in checking-in (while taking broarding pass). But I was referring to security check in the gate (also in the main security gates) where people are picked up randomly from the broarding line. They are done by airport security personnels, not airlines.

Last edited by a moderator:
bb_5555 said:

1 a current photo
4 signature

I am not sure if "vital stats" is requirement in photo ID. Only information requied in ID are gender and age (i.e. DOB). In fact, except US drivers license (of most of the states) no other document contains vital stats. Most of the national passports in saw, including US passport and my Indian passport, do not have any vital stats.

bb_5555 said:

First of all, I don't think signature required for photo ID. Secondly, green card does have signature.

bb_5555 said:

1 a current photo
4 signature

Exactly, any sensible human being will do exactly as you/wife is doing.

But there are few insane minds who start their everyday thinking about things like
1) How will I loose my GC today and how can I avoid it???
2) Everyday send AR-11 for all address change since birth.
3) Document all job changes with all imaginary documents to prove "intent"
4) Prepare everyday for some imaginary meeting with INS officer and some wacho q/s/answer session with him.
5) Brainstorm all "what if" scenerio again
6) And then visit immigration.com :D :D
:D :D
And worse of all, after above deeep mental workout, those insane minds visits this forum and post all their BS left and right. So follow "toilet paper" advice...."Use them and throw them".... :D :D

qwertyisback said:
1) How will I loose my GC today and how can I avoid it???

Is't the topic of this thread? :) It seems, accordingly your argument, only way people can avoid loosing GC by keeping it in safe lockbox (so that even USCIS cannot open lockbox and take it away from you). That's sensible indeed! :D

qwertyisback said:
5) Brainstorm all "what if" scenerio again

Any curious mind does that, including people who have opinions of not carrying it always - due to the question "what if I loose it". Who is right who is wrong that's a different issue. It seems you are the only person who does not have "what if" in his mind and therefore it's pretty much useless for you to follow step # 6 as you mentioned below.

qwertyisback said:
6) And then visit immigration.com

I don't carry my GC with me simply because the chance of losing it is greater, at least in my opinion, than being asked to show it to a government official.

It's easy to replace a driver's license (in my state you can order a replacement DL online) and credit cards. It took me a year to get my green card renewed.

Thanks JoeF and Pralay, you guys were real helpful. I wish people like qwertyisback disappear from this and all forums. Its kind of childish and stupid, Sorry not childish, I dont want to insult any children, cause they also do not resort to this behaviour. This thread was going fine, till Mr. qwertyisback spoiled it for all.
booooo

bb_5555 said:

1 a current photo
4 signature

You're incorrect about that; a GC does have signature on the back (holograph)

Section 264(e) of the INA also provides that every alien, eighteen years of age and over, shall at all times carry with him and have in his personal possession any certificate of alien registration or alien registration receipt card issued to him. Any alien who fails to comply with [these] provisions shall be guilty of a misdemeanor. The Permanent Resident Card provides documentary evidence that the bearer has been granted lawful permanent residence in the United States and has been registered.