career change

smile280

Registered Users (C)
Hi everyone,
this is a very wired question i am posting over here, but i know most of the people in here are it related they can answer me the best, i have been in this county since last 7 years, away from india for like 15 years, have been in retail sales for a long time, and now getting tired of it, especially since i moved to nj after getting my gc and as i was tired of living in a small US teritorry,, now i work in retail in nyc.
i am thinking of changing my career, and do something better than just retail sales, may be something in the computers or something i can make good money in, dont have much of the collage education but still would like to get in to something professional field, by taking up a course of study for it, at 35 and newly married , in the process of starting a family, with taking care of bills , not possible for a full time collage, what suggestion can i have from you guys, is there any field that you guys will suggest me, i heard of biomatrics as a growing field, i am sure would not be able to join the virgina university for the development of it, but how about the operation end of it, is there any course that i could take, which might lead me to a good secure job.
any input would be appreciated .
thanks

which US territory were you from ...usvi..st.thomas.??? depends on what you are interested in ...IT field is good but it will require going to school...i myself have considered going to nursing school/physicians assistant..you can do part time schooling for a programmer analyst or something...but what you really need to do is go into something that you are passionate about ...we usually want to choose other careers because we are not passionate about the career we are currently in

Based on your writing here, which is difficult to understand, it seems that English is not your first language.

I would suggest some remedial English and writing courses at a community college before going to a university to pursue a degree. Otherwise, you could find yourself getting bad grades even though you know the answers, simply because the professors don't properly understand what you wrote or said.

While at the community college you could meet with a career counselor (or somebody else in a similar role) to discuss possible college degrees and careers to pursue based on your talents and interests. But don't go into something just because it offers good money prospects. You should have some real interest in it, otherwise you'll find that you hate it too much to keep doing it 40-60 hours a week for years.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am in IT field from Last 10 years doing Coding. I am tired now and want to change career.
But coding is all I know. May be I will go in Retail Sales.

His/her english is fine. I really dont think you need mroe english to code thanfor retail sales. Most people are quite lazy to write exact grammatical sentences. that does not in any way reflect their capacity to speak english.

Being a programmer, english is the one thing you do not need much of in my field as a lot of folks are indian. as long as you can get your ideas across you'll be just fine. so dont waste your time on english classes. If its goo aough for retail sales, then its more than enough for programming.

thanks guys for the reply, but really i have no idea what kind of course to take in programming, or coding or Biometrics, or where to start looking, i havent done collage, so really dont know if they even would allow to take a course, retail sales are good, but some months it is good and some month is really bad, this thing is driving me crazy, no steady income.

His/her english is fine. I really dont think you need mroe english to code thanfor retail sales.
That's if you want to remain as an ordinary coder forever, and don't want to rise to be an analyst or architect who makes six figures writing design documents and giving presentations to executives (in addition to some amount of coding). And the problem with just being a coder is those jobs are going away from the US.
Most people are quite lazy to write exact grammatical sentences. that does not in any way reflect their capacity to speak english.
On a forum I don't expect people to write with perfect or near-perfect grammar. But when the sentence structure is way off and difficult to understand, it becomes clear that English is not their first language and their command of it (at least for writing) is far from that of a native speaker.
Being a programmer, english is the one thing you do not need much of in my field as a lot of folks are indian. as long as you can get your ideas across you'll be just fine. so dont waste your time on english classes. If its goo aough for retail sales, then its more than enough for programming.
To obtain a college degree in the US, a good command of written English is very important. In addition to classes in the major field of study, you'll have to do assignments where you write essays spanning thousands of words for classes like history and philosophy.

Last edited by a moderator:
somebody suggested the Cisco networking, give the exam of book 1 get the job and then give the exam of book 2, is that a good field to go in to. or even some one suggested project Management . any input from u guys.

Nursing is also a choice. My friend's uncle will graduate nursing maybe next year shifting from law. He's in mid 30 now.

i am sure it is a great choice, but the thing about nursing is that u mostly deal with people who are not well, and it is not something that i would enjoy doing it as a career.