Canadian Taxes

vault

Registered Users (C)
Canadian Taxes - Anyone??

Just curious to see if anyone who have Landed Immigrant status, but living and working in the US have paid Canadian taxes (legal amount due. Not filing minimum taxes, but paying the taxes on worldwide income) or plan on paying them?

My understanding is that according to the Canadian Tax law, if you have bank acounts, Credit cards, line of credit, rent a place etc. etc. you are supposed to file taxes on your world wide income. I also read on the CIC site that there is a form you could fill and send out to see if you can be treated as a non - resident for tax purposes. If one decides to do that, and the CIC says you are treated as a non resident and you don't have to pay any taxes, what will happen to one's immigration status?

Any takers on this one?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi vault,

I want to file zero income taxes.
Is that a problem??.

And one more question, is it a good idea to look for job in michigan from windor.
What are the chances of getting temp(non-it) jobs in windsor.

My employer is based in michigan and can place me somewhere in michigan.

Thanks in advance.

Hmmm.....

Lets see....

You do not want to live live in Canada, don't want to pay taxes,
yet you want to keep your Landed Immigrant statu, and maybe even apply for Citizenship?

With the news Immigration laws, If I were you, I will think twice.

Apply for jobs in Windsor/Toronto/Vancouver/Alberta and see what happens, and keep us updated.

Vault,

Canada has a tax treaty with USA, so I agree that people should file proper taxes.

What happens if say I go to India or some other country which doesnt have tax treaty with Canada, work there for 1 year and file 0 taxes with Canada. How would CIC find out anything.

The way it is in India, it is impossibel to find out anything. One can just say he was there for oersonal reasons and not working.