Canadian PR

sk8er

Registered Users (C)
I am an Indian Citizen who just got his PR and will be landing in Canada. I have a few questions:

1. I will be staying in Toronto for 3 days to check out apartments for renting
2. I will be landing with just myself and literally no luggage except a handbag
3. What do I answer to the lady who says "how long will you be staying in Canada" ?
4. I heard landing takes usually 2-3 hours and they ask you a bunch of questions. What questions should I be prepared to answer ?
5. I wil taking in "Proof of Funds", Custom forms with "Goods to follow". I will not have a custom form which will have "Goods with me" because I will have 500 Canadian dollars and a handbag. The money for renting apartments will be withdrawn from an ATM
6. What if during landing they ask me when will you be returning to Canada OR where will you go once you leave Canada ? Do I need to show them confirmed booknig to India / US. Which country is preferable ?
7. What questions will they ask once you go back to the US after 3 days ?
8. Also while landing I will give them a US address to mail the PR cards.

Just a quick answer to your last comment:

They DO NOT accept foreign address (US address IS a foreign address) for mailing the PR card.

I am an Indian Citizen who just got his PR and will be landing in Canada. I have a few questions:

3. What do I answer to the lady who says "how long will you be staying in Canada" ?
4. I heard landing takes usually 2-3 hours and they ask you a bunch of questions. What questions should I be prepared to answer ?
5. I wil taking in "Proof of Funds", Custom forms with "Goods to follow". I will not have a custom form which will have "Goods with me" because I will have 500 Canadian dollars and a handbag. The money for renting apartments will be withdrawn from an ATM
6. What if during landing they ask me when will you be returning to Canada OR where will you go once you leave Canada ? Do I need to show them confirmed booknig to India / US. Which country is preferable ?

I specifically asked the woman at the Canadian embassy and she said they do. She even confirmed it with someone inside.

1. Otherwise whose address can I give ?
2. If I dont give an address, then what happens ?

I specifically asked the woman at the Canadian embassy and she said they do. She even confirmed it with someone inside.

1. Otherwise whose address can I give ?
2. If I dont give an address, then what happens ?

There are many posts on this forum by people whose US address was refused. You can give your friend's (cdn) address.
If you do not provide address, this happens:

http://cic.gc.ca/english/information/pr-card/arriving.asp

Here is my answers

- Yes, you can do..

- As you wish..

- Tell the truth, they won't create any problem to you.. In my case I told them one day and they didn't ask any thing..like why..

- That's true.. it may take 1 to 2 hours.. May be they will ask you where you staying or address like that..
- If you don't have forms you can search in internet or they will give you forms..
- Tell them appr. time.. like 1 month or 3 months
- At US border, it may ask you why you visited to Canada..
You can use AVR too.

- No, If you don't have any friends address, they will give you one form and tell you once you settle in Canada fax it or mail it.

I hope this will help you.

Thanks,
jdk98

Thank You. Just a follow up on Question 7. Can I tell the US person I had gone to done H1-B stamping in Canada . He will know it either ways because if I do get my visa it will say Toronto

Question 9
What questions do they ask if you are a first time H1-B stampee entering the United States ?

Question 10
Let us say you dont take anything with you and you give them 10 items in your "Goods to follow" form. Then:
1. Can you add some items to the "Goods to follow" once you bring them in ?
2. Can you bring the "Goods to follow" more than 1 time of they have to bring them in one go ?
3. Everything else i.e. stuff besides the goods to follow will have import duty when you bring it in the country ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank You. Just a follow up on Question 7. Can I tell the US person I had gone to done H1-B stamping in Canada . He will know it either ways because if I do get my visa it will say Toronto

Question 9
What questions do they ask if you are a first time H1-B stampee entering the United States ?
First time comers it will take time. I think they will evaluate your degree certificates. Check with US Consulate website.
Question 10
Let us say you dont take anything with you and you give them 10 items in your "Goods to follow" form. Then:
1. Can you add some items to the "Goods to follow" once you bring them in ?
No. You can't update it.
2. Can you bring the "Goods to follow" more than 1 time of they have to bring them in one go ?
They will allow only one time. i.e landing PR time.
3. Everything else i.e. stuff besides the goods to follow will have import duty when you bring it in the country ?
Yes.