Canadian PR gurus..pleeaase enlighten me

StressTestInUSA

Registered Users (C)
All Canadian PR gurus who have more insight than me...

I have given up hope on my US GC, it looks more than a mirage to me. Thinking very seriously about Canadian PR. I gathered that it will take about 1 yr to get a canadian PR.

Right now I am on a h4 and cant see an EAD in the near future. Tried googling for my answers but couldnt find any. My questions are as follows

1. After I get a Canadian PR, do we need to maintain it status by living there(in Canada,if yes for how long?) or can we live here in the US on H1(hubby) and me(H4)..

2. How can I get started working here with a Canadian PR here. Is it possible, if yes, is there any process..? My main concern is I need to work here. It is just killing me sitting at home..!!

3. I understand after u get your PR, live in Canada for 3yrs and u get your Canadian Citizenship and u move back to the US. But again for employment here most of the preferences are for US citizen or US greencards, then how does a Canadian citizenship help us(is it thru the NAFTA privilege)

I am desperately looking out for a reply...I have no more patience to bake myself at home....

Now days it takes about 18+ months to get Canadian PR from Buffalo USA. After you get the PR you have to live inside Canada for 2 years out of 5 inorder to maintain it. Go to http://www.cic.gc.ca to get all the forms and all the doc requirements. Now days they require atleast 67 points for getting thru and IELTS is required for testing in engish language. Start on tha paperwork ASAP as lot of people are applying for PR due to retrogression and things are becoming slow by the day.

After u get Canadian Citizenship then you can work in US on TN Visa under NAFTA trade agreements. It is very different than H1b but you need a employment offer from US employer before getting it.

Hope i answered most of your questions. Feel free to post more and i will try to answer them.

Thanks GreenCard05 for your prompt reply..

So after u get a PR-Canadian(i.e after 18 months) live for 2 yrs fiel for a citizenship..u get it maybe after 6 months maybe..total 2.5yr stay in Canada after 18months from now if i file today.

Can u clarify me on this, after citizenship scenario..I understand it that after you get a Candaian citizenship, I still need to look for a sponsor here in the US to work and will be like renewing it after a period of time, being out of status kind of stuff...Can you make it more clear to me, before I can decide about that direction. I need to shell out 4K USD iguess for 4 of us right away(couple,2 kids(not US born)...

thanks again for empathizing my situation.....

Last edited by a moderator:
2 years living condition is for maintaining the PR status. Canadian citizenship requirements are different. I think it is like having PR status for last three years and living in Canada. You may refer that site for exact requirements.

TN Visa requirements are not sringent like H1b. I think Employer doesn't need to sponser you like H1b but they have to have a valid project for you. You can live in US as a Canadian Citizen but can't work without TN. Hence technically u never get out of status in US. Generally you TN visa on the US border and it is valid for one year.

Why are u too worried for Canadian Citizenship. It won't happen in next 4-5 years anyway so why to worry now :).

thanks GC05...

Im not worrying about my Canadaia Citiczenship/US citizenship...I am more worried about how long I will bake myself at home cooking and scrubbing :)

So, I need to file for a Cnd PR..after i get it in 18 months pack to Canada, live for another 2-3 yrs before u file a Citizenship..again shift back to US getting a TN visa each year at the border. Now the story doesent end here I guess.. Can hubby be on his H1 and keep teh GC process going on to 1 fine day get a US GC..? (I guess not, cos he needs to maintain a PR for 2 yrs in Canada and same time maintain H1 US status.. ) I've seen threads about working in Detroit and living at Canada border to maintain status in both places.. Dont smile, I am being too greedy... thats why they say "mera Bharat mahaan..'

Now I need to pray longer to god for some EB Retrogression relief ..!!

Hubby says its your wish, do as you like(of course, later on point back the finger that it was my idea..)

Also just to add to that TN is a non immigrant visa which means you cannot apply for GC with it. You have to get it converted back to H-1B. Also many lawyer web sites will advise you that if you keep renewing TN for a long time then there might be some questions asked by the border authorities

curiousgeorge

That is indeed good to know. On other forums people have always said that getting through TN is virtually impossible and even on Grasmick's web site they have strongly dissuaded people from applying for GC if they have TN visa

http://www.grasmick.com/canimfaq.htm#IF I FILE MY

In fact there are references in his site to the fact that it is risky and not encouraged

"Get your green card before you have to renew your TN. Many readers delay green card applications fearing TN renewals will be jeopardized. Ironically, the longer the wait, the greater the danger."

Hence I thought that people generally dont do it not to mention TN doesnt explicity state dual intent as H1B state very clearly. How long did you take to get your GC once you applied under TN?

srini88 said:
on Grasmick's web site they have strongly dissuaded people from applying for GC if they have TN visa

Not sure where you saw this, but I haven't seen any evidence of Joe Grasmick or the people on his forum dissuading people from getting a green card while on a TN. In fact this seems to be the biggest congregation of people that got green cards from a TN that I have seen to date.

srini88 said:
"Get your green card before you have to renew your TN. Many readers delay green card applications fearing TN renewals will be jeopardized. Ironically, the longer the wait, the greater the danger."

This quote you provided does not say that you should not apply for a green card. It shows the common misconceptions among people who delay applying for a GC, and it says that by extending your TN many many times, you risk getting a TN denial.

srini88 said:
not to mention TN doesnt explicity state dual intent as H1B state very clearly

The fact that a TN does not allow for dual intent means that you cannot apply or extend your TN once you have filed your I-485. This means that you must get an EAD and an AP if you wish to continue traveling or working once you applied for your I-485, since your TN will not be renewable at that time since you've shown immigrant intent by applying for I-485. As it is commonly misunderstood, it does NOT mean that you cannot apply for your I-485 when you are on a TN. The link I provided above explains this very clearly.

why so attachment with US

I donot understand what is wrong with Canada? People want Candian PR but donot want to live there. They want to stay here in US all time and all cost may be body shopper treating them like dogs.

I have so many friends in Canada and all they have job/home/car and good life as people expect in North America. Why so much attachment with US? I am not seeing people (mostly desi) driving BMW 5 series or Audi A6 or living in big ranch house or having horses. so what make difference? just few $$.

rahul_singh said:
I donot understand what is wrong with Canada?
Bad weather, very high taxes, high unemployment, long lines for medical help, constant threat of Quebec seperation... Shall I continue?

rahul

There are pros to living in the US especially along the lines of money and taxes being lower. Having said that it ones personal decision as to where they would want to live, what is good for one may not be good for another person. Also the purpose of this forum in my mind atleast should only be to advise of immigration issues not to judge why a person wants to live in US or canada or why they want to hold on to something or why have multiple options etc.

Just my 2 cents

Live right on the border

Go to North Dakota (US)/Manitoba (Canada) rural border, buy a peice of land in ND and MB right at the border. Enjoy free Canadian benefits (example: medical), and pay low US taxes. This is a good option, if some one constantly worries about Canada vs. US living. One of my friend is a cattle farm businessman is happy in doing this.

niwea said:
Enjoy free Canadian benefits (example: medical), and pay low US taxes.
To pay US taxes and avoid paying Canadian taxes, you need to be a legal resident (not necessarily permament resident) of the US. To get Canadian Medicare, you need to be a resident of Canada, and you'd therefor pay Canadian taxes. You can't be both......legally.

Have you thought of job situation in Canada?

Hi StressInUsa,

Before considering CPR move have you check for jobs for you husband in Canada? I have friends who went there without checking and had lot of trouble getting a OK one. So please

this depends on their qualifications..i don't believe all this crap - i have seen so many ppl get great jobs in GTA..of course if ur in IT coding and all that,maybe not or if u have come straight from India on some basic degree

ppk_walther said:
Hi StressInUsa,

Before considering CPR move have you check for jobs for you husband in Canada? I have friends who went there without checking and had lot of trouble getting a OK one. So please

Do canadian PR holder need US travel visa to temporarily visit US?

Hi Everybody,

We have applied for canadian PR and my husband's US GC will take for ever!! Once I get my canadian PR, I want to go there and work. But, my hubby will stay back in US on H-1B. Is it possible for canadian PR holder to come to US on travel or tourist visa? Do we even need to have visa to enter into US? I need to visit my hubby and two daughters frequently while I am working in canada.

Thanks a million.

mnrfeb19 said:
Hi Everybody,

We have applied for canadian PR and my husband's US GC will take for ever!! Once I get my canadian PR, I want to go there and work. But, my hubby will stay back in US on H-1B. Is it possible for canadian PR holder to come to US on travel or tourist visa? Do we even need to have visa to enter into US? I need to visit my hubby and two daughters frequently while I am working in canada.

Thanks a million.

Yes , you 'll need a visa to enter US ( H4 if your spouse is on H1B ) - Just keep extending your H4 when your spouse extends his H1.

Its OK if you stay and work in Canada ( Canadian PR + H4 ) and your spouse ( Canadaian PR + H1B ) works is the US and you keep vsiting each other.

There are however, 2 issues to be taken care of ( apart from minor questioning at the time of crossing borders ) :

1. taxes : you 'll have to start filing tax returns in both countries. US- Canada tax treaties will save your spouse's income from double taxation.

2. 3 year limit for your spouse and kids canadian PR - They 'll have to be inside canada every 2 out of 5 years ( or count 730 / 1825 ) days else they lose their status.