Canadian PR and US GC Application.

Nams

Registered Users (C)
Hello Everyone..

We came back from India on saturday. We were travelling on AP.
We also have canadian PR.
While entering the officer told us that we cannot have the residency of the two countries.
He told us that we better tell canadian government that we want to give up the canadian residency or he will deport us from US. Is it true that we can have residency of only one country??? Or he was just being rude???

Thanks for your reply in advance.
Hardika.

dual residency

Permanent Resident means your willingness to permanently reside in country.

It does not make sense that you will reside in both countries at the same time. But again, check with an attorney.

Please update any info you receive on this.

Hardhika,
How did the officer know that u had canadian PR , did you show him your Canadian GC ??

He saw the confirmation notice of residency attached to the passport.

We did canadian residency for the back up if in case something goes wrong here. We landed in canada, stayed there 4 days and left. It's not US's bussiness to see if I have two residencies and if dont live in canada. Canada will decide that if I dont live there so they wont renew our PR.But If I am eligible for US Green Card do you think that officer can create any problem???

Hardika.

That officer is an idiot, trying to scare you with empty threats. First of all you ARE NOT a US resident yet, if you are travelling on AP. What other residences/citizenships you hold is currently none of his business. However, once you do get approved for GC, you may have to give up your Canadian residency or pull some nifty tricks in order to keep both of them for a while.

Hardika...

I am interested in applying for canadian PR my self. How do you do it? how long does it take? I thought you have to have a job with an employer willing to sponsor you. Please help.

justelmer@yahoo.com

Canadian PR Guide..

Hello elmerjazz,

We did our canadian PR through a firm called WWICS, it took a fortune for the fee, but we were scared if something goes wrong then what to do but my experience says its useless to spend such a money.

You can get the list of all the document and fill the forms by yourself the guide is at
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/applications/skilled.html

We filed for PR in May'2001 and got the approval in April'2003
Our interview was waived off as my husband has masters and I have bachelors, We both were qualified and were with good educational and professional background.

As far as I know If you have enough points in education and experience, you dont have to have a job in canada, but if you have a confirmed job then it will increase your points.

Hope this helps,
Hardika.

Hardika...

Thank you very much for the information. I will print the forms and look into it. However, it may be too late to look at it as a backup plan since we filed for our US PR in August 2001 and should be hearing something from BCIS soon.

Thank you.
elmerjazz

Hardika.,

You are being misled.

Your canadian residency is independent of US residency. You are not PR of US anyways.

US officer cannot really discuss about ur canadian residency anwyas.