• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Canadian police certificate

bizza

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
I was selected for DV2007 and I started collecting the required documents in preparation for the CP/interview. One of the documents that I had to provide is a police certificate from Canada :confused: .
Is a Canadian police certificate based on name check is enough? I read somewhere that a name check based certificate should be enough.
Is it preferred to have a fingerprints based police certificate?

Thank you for your help.

Ben,

Curious whether I have to get one from Canada. I've been in Canada for exactly 6 months (to a day).

Also, do we need a police clearance from U.S., while applying for CP?

In general, what the second package says about police clearances (which countries, from what ages, etc.)?

Thanks.

cvv011 said:
Curious whether I have to get one from Canada. I've been in Canada for exactly 6 months (to a day).

Also, do we need a police clearance from U.S., while applying for CP?

In general, what the second package says about police clearances (which countries, from what ages, etc.)?

Thanks.

The instructions specify that you need to get a police certificate from every country where you lived and I quote "for more than 6 months".

Also the instructions specify that you should NOT obtain any police certificate covering your stay in the US.
For more information check this link:
http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1308.html

bizza said:
The instructions specify that you need to get a police certificate from every country where you lived and I quote "for more than 6 months".

Also the instructions specify that you should NOT obtain any police certificate covering your stay in the US.
For more information check this link:
http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1308.html

Correction.
May be it is better to get the information straight from the source :rolleyes:

Police certificates
Police certificates are required for each visa applicant aged 16 years or older. The table below shows how many police certificates are required based on where each applicant lives and has lived previously. Present and former residents of the United States should NOT obtain any police certificates covering their residence in the U.S.

IF the applicant is living in their country of nationality at their current residence for more than 6 months
AND is 16 years old or older
THEN the applicant needs a police certificate from the police authorities of that locality.

IF the applicant lived in a different part of their country of nationality for more than 6 months
AND was 16 years or older at that time
THEN the applicant needs a police certificate from the police authorities of that locality.

IF the applicant lived in a different country for more than 12 months
AND was 16 years or older at that time

Any previous experience with a police certificate from canada for the CP?
Is a name based check police certificate is enough?

Thanks

name based check police certificate is good enough!

I am a DV2006 winner and used name based check police certificate in the interviewed this April, the consulate officier in Montreal is very nice and very helpful which didn't ask me any other fingerprints based check police certificate. Make sure that all the legal names you used are showed on the police certificate, then you are fine! Good luck!

Hope this help!

alank said:
I am a DV2006 winner and used name based check police certificate in the interviewed this April, the consulate officier in Montreal is very nice and very helpful which didn't ask me any other fingerprints based check police certificate. Make sure that all the legal names you used are showed on the police certificate, then you are fine! Good luck!

Hope this help!

Thanks alank for the information.

Ben