Canadian not registered for NSEERS, waiting for Green Card

bjazi01

Registered Users (C)
Hello~

We need help, I applied for my green card through my wife. I am a Lebanese/Canadian citizen. We've been married for almost 4 years and have a baby on the way. We went for our second interview in January where they told us that I was set to go, but my fingerprints had expired. They told us that it should take about 30 days for the finger prints to come back and for them to mail us the green card.

Our lawyer just notified us that there is intent to deny my I-485 because I did not register for NSEERS. I didn't register because I was told by two immigration lawyers that I didn't need to since I was a Canadian citizen. I even printed a copy of the US Embassy's website saying that Canadian Citizens do not have to register for NSEERS. The officer asked us at both interviews why I did not register and I showed them what the Canadian Embassy had written and they moved on.

Neither one of them asked me to register.

Can anyone give me some advice as to what to do next, this is getting very frustrating and worrisome?! :(

FYI, this is Indianapolis, Indiana. My I-130 was approved, and I did clear both name cheacks and fingerprints.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a canadian citizen and I got my 10 yr GC last month (married to USC) and I didnt register for that either and everything went thur fine..Good luck I hope that its not true and everything goes thur fine for you as well

Well that's the difference !!! Apparently EVENTHOUGH my awyer told me I did not need to register for the NSEERS, since I was born in Lebanon I was supposed to have regustered !!

I got the notice from the USCIS today saying they intend to deny my app and that I need to contact an ICE agent and MAY BE they would let me register !!

Has anyone had such an experience with having to do late registration for the NSEERS and if so, how did it go ?!

sorry I cant help you as I dont know any info on that stuff..Good luck I hope everything works out for you